Private Key authentication for SFTP

• 21 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Are there any near-term plans to support using public and private keys for SFTP?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

This isn’t on a roadmap right now, but I’m going to split this out into a Feature Request topic to be tracked.

As a healthcare company, my business would greatly benefit from this feature.

• To comply with HIPAA requirements, we share most of our files with clients using SFTP and don’t have the option of simply emailing them or using other low-security methods.

• Some of our clients have internal security policies that allow for the whitelisting of at most 3 IP addresses per business associate. In the US, Looker requires the whitelisting of 5 IP addresses (which could be avoided altogether this feature.)

Please consider rolling this out in your next product update as this is an important feature for any healthcare/finance/high-security industry. (It’s also the gold standard for secure connections in general and is widely used in the analytics software space.)

@Will_Leone thank you for providing that kind of detail so that the Looker team has more info about why this is a blocker for SFTP use currently. We are also in the healthcare space and face similar constraints.

@izzy do you have any update on where y’all are at with supporting this feature?

Hi @izzy I ran into same problem and idea if we can get this feature. I also need to authenticate via private keys :)

Agreed with the users above. Private keys are fairly standard. It is surprising to me that this is not supported or even on the roamdap at this point.