Looker Administration Certification

Any Idea if google is planning to introduce Looker certification for Admins (General Administration, config, access management etc.)?

5 8 1,313
8 REPLIES 8

thomasrose
Participant I

I am also very interested in this.
I would also like to know when there will be news about certifications. I recently certified the Looker LookML Developer and was going to follow up with the Looker Business Analyst, but it has been retired.

@thomasrose  I would like to know as well.  Also I am about to take the LookML Developer cert next month, any advice?  Thank you in advance for your help.

Dawid
Participant V

What would you expect from such certification? Or better yet, which areas of Looker would you expected to be tested on such exam?

Personally I’d like it if Looker Developed an Certification centered on Administration.  I’d also like to see them reintroduce the Analyst Certification or something like it.  I think the challenge with Looker certifications will be how to keep them current since Looker releases new features often.  Many other BI tools have certification based on levels or skill groupings but they are usually aligned to a version and that is hard to track in a Saas platform like Looker.

What would you expect from such certification? Or better yet, which areas of Looker would you expected to be tested on such exam?

I think a Looker Administrator Certification should include pretty much everything under the “Admin” menu.  From user/group management to monitoring system usage.  Beyond what is on the Admin menu what else do you think would ensure an Administrator Certification would carry some credibility for the holder?

thomasrose
Participant I

@thomasrose  I would like to know as well.  Also I am about to take the LookML Developer cert next month, any advice?  Thank you in advance for your help.

No direct advice - but i enjoyed the training and seeing i had done most of the stuff already on my former companies instance ? so - practical experience is everything - if you happen to have worked as admin/developer like one and a half year or more in a real looker instance you are all set for the certification! you should have gone through some instance and project setup, derived tables, aggregate tables and at least one bigger restructuring of an project where you questioned some earlier design-decisions and searched for real-world best practices, then you should be fine. Time might be problem - there are some complex and long multiple choice questions - as you have 50 questions in 100 minutes, time-management and putting some questions to answer later is helpful.

If you have more questions regarding this or looker development in general, feel free to contact me on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomasrose1987/), i am happy to help. However, I do not give braindumps or complete solutions, but will help with self-discovery.

Basically, there are lots of things in analytics which are out of scope from developer standpoint. For example, i would like to mention user management, roles creation/modification, general config, catalog deployments, data model security, instance start/stop etc. that should be cover as part of the certification.  

@thomasrose  Danke for your response it was extremely helpful and has given me some great insight on what I need to do get this certification. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.  Be well.

Sincerely,

William