Looker Actions - Google Cloud Storage

Looker Actions - Google Cloud Storage

Looker is launching a Google Cloud Storage action, allowing customers to send data to Google Cloud Storage from within Looker. This action will allow Looker customers ti send Looker data to Google Cloud Storage on a one-off or scheduled basis.

Enable the Google Cloud Storage Action

Note: Your Looker instance must be on Looker 5.6+.

Customer-hosted instances may be unable to enable actions from the Looker Action Hub, especially actions that support streamed results or that use OAuth, if the customer-hosted Looker instance does not fulfill these requirements.

See the Sharing Data Through an Action Hub documentation page for suggested solutions to this potential issue.

1. To enable the action in Looker, go to your Admin panel and the Actions Tab under the Platform header [your-instance.looker.com/admin/actions]. (Admin > Platform > Actions)

2. Select “Enable” on the Action you would like to enable.

3. In your Google Cloud console [https://console.cloud.google.com]:

1. Enable the Google Cloud Storage API and Google Cloud Storage JSON API.

2. Generate a Service Account with permissions to create objects in GCS.

3. Create a Service Account Key (with Storage Admin role) and download the JSON key file. [https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials]

4. Note the Project Id, Client Email, Private Key (everything inside the quotation mark, including the comment and “/n” ) in the key file.

4. Copy your Google Cloud Storage API key and paste into the Looker Actions Page.

Send data to Google Cloud Storage

Great, now you’ve setup your API keys so that Looker can communicate with Google Cloud!

Create and Send or Schedule a Report

1. In Looker, view a Look, explore data or view a dashboard to see the data you want to send to Google Cloud Storage.

2. Then start to send the data now or schedule the data to be sent later or periodically.

3. In the Send or Schedule window’s Destination field, select “Google Cloud Storage”.

4. In the Bucket field, specify the Google Cloud Bucket location for the data file.

5. Optionally, in the Filename field, type the name for the data file. Include the appropriate file extension.

6. Click Send.
    Your data will be in your Google Cloud Storage bucket!

0 10 6,045
10 REPLIES 10

la5rocks
Participant III

When is this going to be available. You said version 5.6, but only 5.18 is getting released? What’s the timeframe for having this available?

The Google Cloud Storage action is live now as of 5.16 release.

la5rocks
Participant III

Aha! I needed to use the Refresh button on the page to get it to appear.

Perhaps fix your typo from 5.6 to 5.16?

I need to copy (.txt )files to GCS bucket From Looker, Its possible with the above steps? or its there any other step’s to fallow for this  approach please let me know. 

its possible we can encrypt the file before store file into the GCS bucket  from Looker ?

Hi @jamie_davidson , will looker still be able to access the storage buckets even if the buckets are private?

Hey! @jamie_davidson Can we schedule a looker report to send out to a specific folder in GCS bucket? I can only see the bucket dropdown on the looker schedule page where I can just select the bucket name. But, I want my report to be sent out to a specific folder in the GCS bucket. 

@jamie_davidson we have a security policy against creating long-lived gcp credentials. is there any way to get this to work with workload identity?

Hi All,
I want my users to be able to send to multiple GCS buckets in two GCP projects. How can I do that through Looker Actions?

Hey! Have you came with any workaround for this? I'm looking to do the same: have one gcp integration for an specific project but not for everyone. Thanks in advance!