Looker 4.10 Introduces Several Time Zone Enhancements
In the latest Looker release, there are some new enhancements for time zones. It is now possible to:
- save content with the dynamic time zone
- control the time zone in which dashboard tiles run
- access the query time zone in liquid for crafting custom drill links
- override the default time zone for saved content with the query_timezone url parameter
There are also a few visual tweaks related to time zone controls.
You can learn more the new features in this article.
The Legacy Feature
For continuity of dashboard time zone behavior, we introduced a Legacy Feature called
Implicit Dashboard Default Timezone which will default to being enabled in 4.10.
When this feature is enabled, dashboard time zone default will continue to operate as it did prior to the upgrade:
- When creating or editing a dashboard, you will not be able to save a default time zone for your dashboard.
- Embedded dashboards will use the user’s time zone.
- Non-embedded dashboards will use the time zones saved with each look.
In the legacy feature panel, the new setting is called
Implicit Dashboard Default Timezone.
User Specific Time Zonesis disabled, the
Implicit Dashboard Default Timezonesetting has no effect.
User Specific Time Zonesand
Implicit Dashboard Default Timezoneare both enabled, a default timezone cannot be saved for a dashboard. Also, embedded dashboards will default to applying the current user timezone to all elements. For non-embedded dashboards, each tile will default to using the timezone saved in the tile’s underlying look.