Is it possible to access a data model defined in Looker from another client outside Looker?

I would like to know if it is possible to see a model defined in Looker from outside, for example with a JDBC connection. For instance, let’s start from a BigQuery connection, and the data model on Looker joins multiple table: I would like to know if there is a way to query the same data model with any other SQL client.

Solved Solved
0 1 587
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That would be an explore (defined in the model) where we join multiple tables. We do not have result of this joins as data somehow, it is only the code which will be used when query will be created. 

And the result of the query is not saved neither - I mean here that there is no some table created/saved, which would have the result of “A join B”.

What we can do here is:

1. Use API for querying. You can also use SDKs for the API calls, and you can create some queries and run them (via Looker of course), and get the results. 
  2. Create a derived table which will have a result of some joins of other tables or whatever you like, make a stable database view out of it (https://docs.looker.com/reference/view-params/publish_as_db_view) - and then query it from your database with another tool

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

That would be an explore (defined in the model) where we join multiple tables. We do not have result of this joins as data somehow, it is only the code which will be used when query will be created. 

And the result of the query is not saved neither - I mean here that there is no some table created/saved, which would have the result of “A join B”.

What we can do here is:

1. Use API for querying. You can also use SDKs for the API calls, and you can create some queries and run them (via Looker of course), and get the results. 
  2. Create a derived table which will have a result of some joins of other tables or whatever you like, make a stable database view out of it (https://docs.looker.com/reference/view-params/publish_as_db_view) - and then query it from your database with another tool