fail to run migrate_encryption

jpi1
Participant I

As part of an upgrade from v22.6.54 to v22.10 I’ve followed the Migrating to AES-256 GCM encryption instructions to migrate from the legacy 128-bit encryption to the AES-256 GCM encryption. However, during the process of running java -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption I keep getting the following errors. The process eventually exits at which point I restore looker back to v22.6.54. Anyone seen this before?

Sorry for the part text part image error messages below, something in the text causing the forum post to fail when saving.  

Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'MultiCache Lazy Fetch' trimmer [00830]" Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Cache' reaper [0082e]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spacejava.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Pinger' reaper [00846]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Availability Checker' reaper [00838]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'MultiCache Lazy Fetch' reaper [00832]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Availability Checker' trimmer [00836]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Exception Reporter' reaper [00840]" Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Cache' trimmer [0082c]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spacejava.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Exception Reporter' trimmer [0083e]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "Looker Thread Pool 'Pinger' trimmer [00844]" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

7a33f441-0e58-4a7a-902e-bf0f3c72667b.png
Solved Solved
0 2 904
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jpi1
Participant I

We increased the system’s memory to 64GB and the java -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption succeeded (set back to 32GB after migration). During the upgrade memory utilization only went up to 25%. After running through this exercise we suspect there’s some % limit being leveraged. We think we should have been passing an -Xmx arg to the java call. Something like java -Xmx30G -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jpi1
Participant I

As a follow up. The systems memory is 32GB and looker’s memory is JAVAMEM=30G. During a run of java -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption that produced the OutOfMemoryError errors the system’s memory never exceeds 30% usage. 

A link to the previously mentioned Migrating to AES-256 GCM encryption instructions we followed are here.

jpi1
Participant I

We increased the system’s memory to 64GB and the java -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption succeeded (set back to 32GB after migration). During the upgrade memory utilization only went up to 25%. After running through this exercise we suspect there’s some % limit being leveraged. We think we should have been passing an -Xmx arg to the java call. Something like java -Xmx30G -jar looker.jar migrate_encryption.