In Looker 6.0, the visualization system for Cartesian (bar, column, line, area, and scatter) visualizations has changed.
Turning on the Legacy Visualizations legacy feature instructs Looker to use the old visualization system. By default, this legacy feature is off, and it will be removed in Looker 6.6.
If you previously enabled the Enhanced Visualizations Labs feature, you already enabled the new visualization system.
Old Behavior (Legacy Visualizations on)
No change to appearance or behavior of Cartesian charts.
New Behavior (Legacy Visualizations off)
Cartesian charts have these additional features:
- You can now select point shapes for line, area, and scatter charts.
- You can now size points by field and plot the size-by field for scatter charts.
- You can now create stacked charts with multiple visualization types.
- Automatic series layering is improved for mixed series charts: lines in front, then area, then column or bar, then scatter.
- There are minor changes to how you format certain time values.
- Chart legend shapes now reflect the visualization type for each series (for example, a short line will appear for a line series).
Cartesian charts no longer offer the following:
- You can no longer focus lines on hover for line or area charts.
- You can no longer order series by size for bar or column charts.
- You can no longer adjust the value density of labels, because Looker adjusts the density automatically.
For a complete list of legacy features and when they’ll be removed from the product, see the Legacy Features End-of-life Schedule.
A post was split to a new topic: Value Label Density
Being discussed over here: Any attempt to download dashboard as PDF fails with error
With chromium render, every attempt to download dashboard as PDF, logs an error and download fails:
When using a line chart with dates on the X-axis, I use value density to force the display of the date for every point in my line chart. It is easier to see what date a particular point is related to when every day is displayed. Is there going to be some other alternative once this Legacy Visualizations is removed?
Thanks for the feedback,
@dgold. I’ve let the Product team know!
Thanks for the feedback,
@nmorrison. I’ve let the Product team know and will get back to you with any updates.
One note about no longer being able to adjust the value density of labels: The automatic adjustment works on web browsers, but downloading to a PDF doesn’t look great:
Ideally, reducing the value density would make the visualization on the left look a lot cleaner.
I’m looking forward to experimenting with the new visualisations, but I currently have a minor display issue with the new style of chart labels when they are used on a dashboard.
When this chart’s height is too small, all of the labels disappear:
It should be showing like this:
Just thought I would pass this feedback along.