Will App Passwords work for IMAP after Sept 30 2024?

Hi all,

after reading this Google Workspace update, it is not clear to me whether app password method will be still allowed after Sept 30 2024. In particular, we have an app that uses app password to access via IMAP the Gmail account, so I'm not sure if it will stop working after that date or not.

In that post, there is written that:
"If the app you are using does not support OAuth, you will need to switch to an app that offers OAuth or create an app password to access these apps". So, from here, it seems that app password should be still available, but I'd like to receive a confirmation.

Thanks!

Solved Solved
2 5 2,691
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We will continue to support App Specific Passwords (ASPs) for POP/IMAP/SMTP

With LSA deprecation, will be blocking the ability to authenticate with a user's actual Google Credentials. However, users can still creature unique credentials via ASP.

Customers have two options:
1) Use an app that supports OAuth [recommended]
2) Enable 2-step verification and create an App Specific Password

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I agree, it is not 100% clear.

We will continue to support App Specific Passwords (ASPs) for POP/IMAP/SMTP

With LSA deprecation, will be blocking the ability to authenticate with a user's actual Google Credentials. However, users can still creature unique credentials via ASP.

Customers have two options:
1) Use an app that supports OAuth [recommended]
2) Enable 2-step verification and create an App Specific Password

Hi,I am seeing sudden issue with IMAP.

error : Timed out authenticating with server. 

This has been working for last 2 years. Never saw this. Can you advise please

Great to see that app password will continue work for IMAP/POP and SMTP.

dobrรฝ den, prosรญm o reset hesla na e-mail (<PII removed by staff>) dฤ›kuji, napiลกte mi prosรญm na e-mail <PII removed by staff> dฤ›kuji Jan Pokornรฝ