Rolling out Context Aware

Do folks have stories about rolling out Context Aware to existing deployments of Google devices? There doesn't seem to be a great way to just turn this on with alerting, and not blocking devices as we ensure 100% of our devices are identified properly so we are rolling out in smaller groups.

Thanks in advance

Solved Solved
0 6 401
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If I remember correctly, @brian_kim has started looking into CAA. Maybe  even @stevelarsen & @dominik ?

View solution in original post

I am curious as to what your reason for a phased roll out is.

You could go and allow/approve all existing devices and then turn it on as to then go and notify / email users about existing devices that don't comply to your settings. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

If I remember correctly, @brian_kim has started looking into CAA. Maybe  even @stevelarsen & @dominik ?

I am curious as to what your reason for a phased roll out is.

You could go and allow/approve all existing devices and then turn it on as to then go and notify / email users about existing devices that don't comply to your settings. 

We basically need a way to turn on all of the Google Apps for alerting, but not blocking.

Right now we add one OU at a time, and find edge scenario's for computers which are not marked as company owned. We already did a few passes at our purchasing receipts, and 3rd party asset tracking system, but there are still devices which we miss. We also do not want to accidentally enroll employee purchased systems

I understand.  In this case your approach is probably a pretty good one. 

sounds like you are definitely on the right track in terms of google's recommendation of following the steps of discover, remediate, and enforce. two tools you can leverage here which may help with reporting (endpoint verification extension and chrome browser cloud management). you can validate that the user has a company owned associated with them which reported last activity within x hours/days (should be possible using GAM?) it may help remove some of ambiguities you may have.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/9275380

@brian_kim Thanks for sharing all of this. We use the endpoint verification extension as one of our rules. We really need some changes to CA instead of tinkering with GAM, from what it sounds like. 

We are a ChromeOS shop, so it should be easier for us.

Thanks again