Pros & cons for using my Google Workspace account to build websites for paying clients

I need some advice. I have a new client who wants me to get them a domain name and build a website for it. It seems to me there are two ways to go about this, and i'm not sure which way is better. I'm hoping someone in this forum can help me with this.

1) I can secure a domain name for the client via Google Domains, and sign up for a 2-user Google Workspace account to go with the domain name. User #1 would be me so I could build the website using the Workspace's Sites app;  user #2 would be the client, so he could upload assets to the Workspace's Drive app for me to put on the web site. 

Or,

2) I can still secure a domain name for the client via Google Domains, but not sign up for a Google Workspace for the new client. I could use the Google Workspace Business Plus account that I already have to build the client's web site (using the Sites app), and get him to deliver assets to me via email attachments, Dropbox, OneDrive or whatever.  This way, there would be no need for the client to pay for the new, 2-user Google Workspace mentioned in option #1 above. But, they would lose control over the website, and I'm not sure if the domain name associated with my Google Workspace will be problematic. 

Anyone out there have any experience with a situation like this? Thanks!

0 5 854
5 REPLIES 5

I would just build the Google Site under my own account, then have the client copy the site using their account. Once copied and published, you can go in afterwards as Workspace admin and setup the custom domain. That way only one client user account is needed.

Thanks! Is it a simple copy and paste into the clientโ€™s Sites app?

No: you need to invite the user to be an editor to the site then that user copies the site using their account.  Once they have the copy in their account they can then add the domain.  If you're wanting this to all be in Google Workspace you need to buy the domain and configure Google Workspace first, then make the copy of the site.

Also, just FYI, Google has sold Google Domains to Squarespace. See https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/16/23763340/google-domains-sunset-sell-squarespace for the details. (The Domains team has been incredibly slow to actually inform their customers of this fact. Grumble.)

That's true. But just so people don't get confused, Google Sites is unaffected by this event.