Problems with IOS and MDM

ariggs

Our company just recently upgraded to Workspace Enterprise so now we have access to the Google Workspace MDM for company owned IOS devices. We just purchased several new Ipads and I went through the process outlined by Google for getting everything setup to use them with the Workspace MDM. But after going through the setup process with each Ipad they do not automatically download the Google Device Policy app and the only available apps installed on them are Settings and the App Store, but even after signing in with an admin Apple ID I am unable to download apps from the App Store. Has anyone else had this problem or know of any possible solutions? I have even tried removing an Ipad from the MDM and re-adding it and doing a factory reset to no avail.

2 8 2,405
8 REPLIES 8

I have the same issue. 

@ariggs @danieljusa2001  please check if your ios sync is turned off(needs to be on) ,i think there might be something that you are missing can you please try contacting the support team to get the specifics :

https://apps.google.com/u/2/supportwidget/helphome

0r

https://support.cloud.google.com/portal/cases

Thanks for posting the question, and sorry for the inconvenience!

If I understand correctly, the scenario is: when you set up these iOS devices, you skipped the step of logging in with an Apple ID. Later when you see the homescreen on devices after setup, you couldn't find the Device Policy app, so you logged in with an Apple ID. But this is too late since the command of installing the app had been missed on the device.

My suggestion is that you'll need to log in with an Apple ID during device setup, and then you'll be able to see the Device Policy app getting installed correctly after the setup. To do this, you'll need to "erase all content and settings" on the devices by following the instruction. Once your device has been erased, you can go through the device setup flow again and log in with your Apple ID.

Note that this Apple ID doesn't need to be an admin Apple ID, and it can be any Apple ID (including personal Apple ID).

Hopefully this can resolve the issue! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you again for your feedback! Google is working on improving the experience here, and your feedback is really appreciated!

Did this solution work?

I have the same problem, but the solution from @fanbu didn't work for me?

I am having the same problem on this side. I am federating the users from Workspace to ABM successfully and I am logging-in in with that Apple ID, getting prompted to login to Google... but then the only app available is the setting and itunes.

The sync is no and there no onerous restrictions in place.

I have also checked to make sure that the Workspace licencing was not an issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

So I have a partial answer to your problem. I had the same situation and symptoms, but the key is that the device needs to download the Google Device Policy app. Once the app is installed and logged into with the user's Google credentials, all the missing apps come back. This Google Device Policy app should prompt you to install it on its own when you set up the new managed device, however, this only worked for me when logged into an Apple ID which was NOT in the users list of ABM. If I used an Apple ID of a staff role in ABM, I would receive an error on the phone saying that the user didn't have permissions to purchase apps. Try creating an Apple ID that is not a user in ABM, and test for yourself. That being said, this does seem like it needs further fixing so that an ABM user Apple ID can download the Google Device Policy app. Please let me know if this helps.

Google's Workspace "MDM" cannot handle Apple VPP for enterprise-managed devices........YET. Google has been making strides to get its MDM peace updated for the past year. Crossing my fingers it's like how I saw it in a demo over the summer.

Hi to all of you! I was wondering why does Google Workspace iOS enrollment asks for a Apple iCloud account to download the Google Device Policy app IF the device is coming from Apple Business Manager (supervised device) and the app GDP is approved through Apple Volume Purchase Program. That is a completely nonesens. Other EMMs doesn't require the user to input a personal iCloud account in order to manage a business device.. that's a contraddiction! Do anyone of you know where can I rase a Feature Enhancement Request on this topic? iOS enrollment should be smooth as possible

Thanks, Stefano