Is there a way to create shared contact labels?

Hello all,

Let's assume I am the admin of an organisation using Google Workspace. I want to add labels to people (that sentence will sound bad said out loud, but then again, that is so useful in the correct setting), so that I group them together by role, team membership, etc.

I want these labels to be visible for everyone in the organisation. This way, only one person (presumably the admin) have to make the effort to organise the contacts into labels (groups), and then everybody can use them. That would be very useful both for external contact organisation, but also for external ones. And if combined with the ability to share an entire label (group) with other people. I mean the contacts in it, when they are external, and just present in your own account.

I can't find a way to do any of these things, and can seem to find any information on the subject.

1 1 178
1 REPLY 1

Hi @AlexGrant 

Google workspace does not offer a feature to do this "out of the box"'. 

However you can use a plugin from the Google Workspace Marketplace that does exactly what you want : https://getsharedcontacts.com/how-to-share-labels-in-google-contacts-and-get-organized/

You can select who has accept to each label and define who can add contacts to which label.

You can also share notes to contacts and hide some fields (like personal phone etc.) that you don't want certain people in your team to see.

Here is the listing.

I hope it helps!