Google Forms:Uploading files is not permitted when data loss prevention is enabled for your domain.

Hi All,

We have encountered an issue where your internal user is unable to submit Google Forms which has Add File option. These forms are shared from other schools outside our domain. 

I have tried to turn off a few options on the Sharing option for the outside domain and yet nothing seems working. 

Raise support ticket but was told to delete DLP rules which are only for Creditcard. I'm still waiting for a reply. 

1st image below: This happen if open from school email

School Email cannot openSchool Email cannot open

2nd and the following images I manage to access from personal email and able to upload file. 

Personal Gmail can openPersonal Gmail can openCan upload fileCan upload file Please can help on this its been 3 days and I'm quite sure its got to do with outside domain sharing but not able to figure it out. 

Uma 

Solved Solved
1 10 16K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Uma, 

This is expected behavior when DLP rules are in place. There is no way in a File Upload option for a form to be able to scan for prevention. It's an "all" or "none" situation.

To get around this barrier, we have advised our own people to create forms asking for a link to a shared document stored in Drive instead of actually asking for the uploading of the document. This prevents those submitting information for getting the error since we cannot control whether or not another domain has DLP in place.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Uma, 

This is expected behavior when DLP rules are in place. There is no way in a File Upload option for a form to be able to scan for prevention. It's an "all" or "none" situation.

To get around this barrier, we have advised our own people to create forms asking for a link to a shared document stored in Drive instead of actually asking for the uploading of the document. This prevents those submitting information for getting the error since we cannot control whether or not another domain has DLP in place.

Hope this helps!

Thank you sorry for late reply

Hi @ccate 
You mentioned this is expected behaviour. Could you point me towards the documentation for this? I just heard about this and having a quick look this forum was the only relevant result I found.

Thanks
Simon

Hi, Simon... See this support link from Google. 

https://support.google.com/a/answer/9646351?hl=en&visit_id=637781211068514953-819062484&rd=1

Scroll down to "Applications and File Types Scanned by DLP"

The documentation you seek is a one-liner: "Forms and Sites are not supported with DLP at this time.  Any DLP implementation, whether it affects only part of the users or not, will disable Forms file uploads for Forms created by an external domain."

Hope this helps!

Perfect thanks for digging that out. I just needed the line somewhere!

Thought I'd mention folks there is now a Beta which fixes this problem...

Check out this week's visible changes. If not wait for the update blog. Should be published this week

how do we get this beta Simon ? 

It looks like this wasn't released.  Is there an estimated arrival for this or is it on hold?

My bad... I must have been mistaken ๐Ÿ˜…

Will this ever be reconsidered?
I am not sure how almost every other form tool deals with their DLP concerns, but they seem to have figured that out. ๐Ÿ˜…

Top Solution Authors