Google Drive File Download counter

Is there a counter to find out how many times a file has been downloaded from Google drive?  We would like to understand how in a website  linked drive  are accessed.

Solved Solved
1 7 31.4K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found what I was looking for in Google Admin.  It was under Reporting / audit and investigation / Drive Log Events.  I used a filter with Title is and the share file name desired.  This gave me a list of all downloads timestamps.  I was able to export to csv and I also saw google sheets as an option.  Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yes, Google Drive does offer a feature that allows you to track the number of times a file has been downloaded. Here's how you can access this feature:

1. Log in to your Google Drive account and select the file that you want to track.
  2. Right-click on the file and select "Get link" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the pop-up window, select "Restricted" or "Anyone with the link" depending on your sharing preference.
  4. Click on "Copy link" to copy the file's URL.
  5. Paste the URL in your website where you want the file to be downloaded from.
  6. Once the file has been downloaded, you can check the number of times it has been downloaded by going to your Google Drive, right-clicking on the file, and selecting "Activity" from the drop-down menu.

In the "Activity" section, you will be able to see the number of times the file has been downloaded, along with the dates and times of each download.

Please note that this feature is only available for users with the appropriate access and permission to the file

Thank you for reaching out to me.  When, I look under Activity for a file under Details, I see the modification for the file but not any download Activity information.  I wonder if I need to turn an option on in the Admin console?  Thanks, Rich

This does not work. If I look at activity, I can see the upload information but no download information to any third parties. A counter (of downloads) would be most usefull

I found what I was looking for in Google Admin.  It was under Reporting / audit and investigation / Drive Log Events.  I used a filter with Title is and the share file name desired.  This gave me a list of all downloads timestamps.  I was able to export to csv and I also saw google sheets as an option.  Thanks

Hi. I was not able to get this solution to work properly. A message is sent if the Zip file is downloaded using Google Chrome on my computer only - but not using Edge or FireFox. Also it did not work when I downloaded the Zip file from my wife's computer.

I do hope that you can reply.

Thanks

How does this work for a personal account? I don't see an Admin option on mine. The original solution only show me modifications and date of upload.

theres no download counter there