Chromebook admin rights

I recently bought a Chromebook. I have had a Google account for many years. I used my usual login to set up the Chromebook but having done so, it doesn't seem to register me as the administrator. Consequently, various settings are greyed out and I cannot change them - Google Playstore Apps being one. It is annoying. I assumed that having a Google Chromebook and having a Google account, it would easily sync but that isn't the case. I expect it is a setting that I need to change but I can't fathom what/where. It is very annoying and consequently, I am not using the Chromebook for much and instead rely on my Pixel mobile or tablet.

1 7 209
7 REPLIES 7

@EdinaClouds Are you using the Chromebook on a Google Workspace account?  Are you an administrator for that Workspace domain?  Otherwise, you might be hitting some Mobile Device Management (MDM) controls that are set up by the Workspace administrator.  You would open internal tickets about that if it's the case. -KAM

@EdinaClouds No worries, I'll try to give some guidance.  Do you know what SKU aka what Workspace License you are using?  -KAM

@EdinaClouds under admin.google.com -> Billing -> Subscriptions.  This direct link might work: https://admin.google.com/ac/billing/subscriptions -KAM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have a Google Workspace Business Starter account which I have had for many years, if that is what you mean. All I mostly want is to be able to download apps from Google Play Store but it is greyed out saying, contact administrator. 

Hi Kam

I've tried all of that previously but still no luck. It is very
frustrating. It is daft that I am the owner/administrator but I still can't
change certain things. I fully expect that it is simply a setting somewhere
but I can't find it. I am getting to the point where I will simply throw
out the Chromebook and buy another laptop. Stupid. It is also very annoying
that you can't ask Google. All that comes up is to ask the community.
You've been great but sadly I am no further forward in sorting this out.
I tried power washing again yesterday, for the third time, but it made no
difference.
Hey ho.

Susie

@EdinaClouds I thought I had already responded to this thread so apologies for not doing so sooner.  A while ago I had a longer-than-necessary interaction with support on getting this working as was literally no documentation to say what you need to do, but now there is, and it's easy - see: