Business Starter pooled storage not working

I need to increase the storage for a small quantity of our staff, but are unable to do so. We are on a Business Starter plan and according to your pricing plans we get 30 GB pooled storage per user. Can anyone please clarify this for me.

https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_nz/pricing.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1...

4 64 5,518
64 REPLIES 64

Hi Can you please look at my domain..(URL Removed by Staff)

Did all the steps above and I can also see shared space in the admin console.. but it would just not apply the extra storage limit to the users under the OU. 

I can’t send you a private message. Can you please help upgrading pooled storage on my account on exevio .com?

Hi, I'm trying to get this set up and though my Workspace Storage info reads "56.89 GB of shared 210 GB used" and I have set a higher storage limit on the Organizational Unit and the group my user is a member of, the storage limit for the user I am trying to raise is still locked at 30GB. Has this *still* not rolled out to everyone yet or is there some other toggle that needs to be flipped?

I eventually contacted Google support to have them verify that I had pooled storage.  It looked like we had it as you said but wasn't showing a change when increasing the storage limit.  They said they would fast track it and then within about two days we had it.  I kept checking each morning.   There was no communication that it was done.  I was looking for an email to say we had it but nothing.  Now we are just waiting for shared drive but I'm afraid it will be the same thing.  I keep checking every few days.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately since my account is a Free Plan, I don't get support so there is no way to kick that process off.

If you're on a free personal (i.e migrated from the old days) do not change your plan.  You can no longer go back to free (I learned this the hard way).

So much for google's "do no evil".... I have several paid domains on google, and now find myself spending $1000+ on my family domain due to misleading/hidding info from google.  sigh.

I actually did make that mistake when migrating but I was able to get
support to switch it back to free.

I've got the same issue. one account with 118 users on Gsuite with about 30 users with extra drive storage  our total its about 2.8tb currently the 118 users x30gb would give us 3.5tb pooled if that works. what i've spent the last 2 months trying to get a straight answer out of google is what happens if we transition to workspace buisness starter as we have to do this month. will the exiting users keep their extra drive strorage licences, but i wont be able to add more ( so i'll add some now to users on the margins) or will the pooled storage take care of everything? then i didcover nobody can even answer if pooled storage works and what will happen.  will my users lose the extra drive storage and their email and file creation will stop ? help

Storage add on is no longer available with the exception of 10TB for $300.00 per month. Business Starter comes with 30GB per end user pooled storage. Yes it works. You need to know how to set the storage for your users. If you are an admin you can set limits from the consol. Keep in mind all have an inherited limit set by default. Group settings will override.

Hi, so if i transition my licences from gsuite to workspace starter what
will happen to my current users who are over 30gb and have extra drive
licences?

Thanks

Add on storage is no longer available with 1 exception, 10Tb for $300.00 per month. Once the account is transitioned the add storage will be removed. Google will allow some time to move data if needed. You can upgrade to Business Standard. If you are still on g-suite there are great discounts for Business Standard transition. request to: smb-workspace-renewals@google.com for faster routing add your country to the subject line. You can reach out to your account manager as well.

CS2
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I have gotten  different answers every time I contact support.  I have kept the transcripts  in case there are issues.  Currently it looks like pooled storage is partially on.  I have already set limits on certain users and have not put limits on the users that have added storage.  These users still have the add on amount but their storage percentages in the admin console show over 100 percent.  I am still able to purchase additional storage as of right now.   We don't have the shared drives yet.  I was told I would be sent an email regarding the added storage being removed and I would have time to make adjustments.  If we were fully moved over, I should see no pooled storage availble but it is still showing that I have organization storage still available.   When the move happens, we will be purchasing the 10 TB as that is the cheaper option for us.   It is very frustrating the lack of specific information from support. I have received no updatyes but have noticeed incremental changes in the admin console.  Nothing saying you are now have polled storage.  One user on another forum received an email and that there was a 64 day grace period to make the adjustments.  I have had nothing. 

From the admin console

If you click on storage, you should see Using 876GB of 1TB of shared storage. If it says shared you have pooled storage. You can upgrade just users who are over the limit unless you are nonprofit.

Upgrading is not an option for us at this time.  Will will purchase the 10TB but I don't want to do that until I know that we actually have pooled storage and I can remove the individual storage. I see the shared but nothing else is behaving like the storage is acutally pooled right now.  We have also not been notified and I was told as the admin, I would receive an email with details.

Hi TSnow,

When I click on storage in the admin console, it does mention "56.61 GB of shared 120 GB used" but when I log in to my users' accounts, it shows, for example "27.35 GB of 30 GB used".

I can confirm that the storage limits have been set to "OFF" for individual users, but still my users cannot use any more than 30 GB of storage.

The following screen shots show what I am currently seeing in the admin console.  It changes without notification.  We did show the same as what you see now but now we don't show  the "of 30 GB used".

Current banner on the home page of the consoleCurrent banner on the home page of the consoleShowing in storage of consoleShowing in storage of consoleNow showing for individual usersNow showing for individual usersCurrently can still purchase individual storageCurrently can still purchase individual storage

This must be done from the admin console.
To get a warning if a group member exceeds the storage limit, make the group a filtering group and wait 24-48 hours before you set the storage limit.
  1. In the Admin console, go to Menu and then Storage.
  2. In the Storage settings section, click Manage
  3. At the left, click the entity whose users you want to apply a storage limit to:
    • Organizational unit–Click the organizational unit.
    • Group–Click Groups. Click the search field and begin entering the name of the group, then click the group.
    Note: Group storage limits always override organization storage limits, and you can arrange which groups override each other through group settings. Learn more about configuration groups
  4. If the User storage limit section isn't open already, click it.
  5. Select On and enter the amount of storage allowed for each user.
  6. Click Save. If you set a limit for a child organizational unit that was previously inheriting a limit from a parent organizational unit, click Override. If you previously set a limit for a child organizational unit and you want it to inherit the limit from a parent organizational unit, click Inherit.If some users in an organizational unit already exceed the storage limit, you are warned. You’re warned for group members only if the group is set as a filtering group. For details, on this page see Storage limit warning messages.
For Gmail and Photos, it can take up to 24 hours for the storage limit to apply. For Drive, the storage limit applies after the user next adds or edits a file.

If you are still having issues, upgrade your high storage users to Business Standard.

Hi TSnow,

Thanks for your reply. However, as I mentioned already, I have all of these settings in place. The user/group/org-unit limit is set to OFF. I do also see the "___ out of ___ shared storage used" but also a prompt that says "Pooled storage will be enabled soon" and then I get the "storage almost full" warning for select users (who have the default storage which comes with the plan, per user)

Screenshot 2023-12-13 101603.pngScreenshot 2023-12-13 101530.pngScreenshot 2023-12-13 101140x.png

My emails finally stopped working so I’ve just paid up. No idea if Google is ever going to deliver on this rollout promise.  Very frustrating. 

good luck all. 

Has anyone else figured this out? I have been racking my brains to get this to work. 

It seems like you need to contact support to get them to finish the process in some cases, my account says I have shared storage but my users all have hard maximums that I cannot get rid of. Unfortunately, this is a family domain setup from the old days so it is on the Free plan so I cannot contact support.

I'm currently just waiting for them to randomly fix it so it is unlikely it will ever happen.

CS2
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

I ended up calling support and getting them to confirm that we have pooled storage.  We purchased the 10 tb storage and then cancelled the indivisual extra storage that we were paying for.  Now just waiting to get shared drives.

We are in the same situation. Our Google Admin Console displays the following message:

"Pooled Storage will be enabled for your Google Workspace Business Starter subscription in the coming weeks with new admin controls."

However, the above has not been implemented yet. Is there anyone else who has not had it implemented? Does anyone know when it will be implemented? Our subscription is as follows:

Google Workspace Business Starter Free edition (no charges)

Thank you.

Hello @naokki , I don't think you are going to be eligible for the pooled storage enhancement if you are on a legacy, Free edition of Workspace. Even if some of the text and language in the Admin suggests so; I think this is a bug in the UI.

I understand. However, it's very unfortunate.