A .ie Domain Name Not Supported?

Hi - I find this hard to believe but after selling one of our client clients based in the Republic of Ireland the benefits of Google Workspace, we start the onboarding / set up to get the message that the .ie domain is not supported ?!?!

There's some irony here in that Google Ireland generate most of the bills our clients receive!

Surely this can't be correct?

Solved Solved
0 8 1,261
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The email address being setup shouldn't have stopped you. It would have just appeared as an unmanaged user.  There is an unmanaged user tool for transferring users who have setup google accounts with the domain name. It's very useful for a large company with lots of shadow IT going on.  

I spoke with my colleague who used to work in Google Support and he suggested using this form to get support for the domain. Although the issue may not match this exactly it would probably still work

https://support.google.com/a/contact/domain_in_use

Fintan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

@SeaDogIT I've seen that error with other TLDs. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Does it domain name have any brands for Google in it?

-KAM

Hey Dave,

This is definitely not the case. We have been a Google Partner for 10+ years in Ireland and have had loads of customers with .ie domains on Google Workspace. We have never had an issue so as KAM said I can only assume there is some other issue/explanation.

I have seen domains blocked that have the word Google in them.  They have a list of some of the common reasons a domain is not allowed

https://support.google.com/a/answer/80610?hl=en&ref_topic=1687139

Fintan

Thanks both @fintan and @KAM - yes, it's very strange ... it's also so frustrating in that you can't speak to Google Tech support without a PIN ... and you can't get a PIN without an account ... Catch 22 ... the Google sales folks in Dublin are trying to help but it's really not their area of expertise.

Of those support link suggestions ... well, I'm struggling to see which one would apply ... 

Sign_up_for_Google_Workspace.png

@KAM and @fintan by way of an update ... I've discovered that someone used an email address linked to the domain (albeit a mailbox associated with website hosting package) to create a Google account so they could set up a YouTube Channel.

I'm guessing this may be something to do with the conflict. I've gotten access to the Google account that has the email we intended to use as set up super admin and changed that to a completely different email address.

Still getting the same error though - maybe the deletion takes some time to propagate through Google records? 

The email address being setup shouldn't have stopped you. It would have just appeared as an unmanaged user.  There is an unmanaged user tool for transferring users who have setup google accounts with the domain name. It's very useful for a large company with lots of shadow IT going on.  

I spoke with my colleague who used to work in Google Support and he suggested using this form to get support for the domain. Although the issue may not match this exactly it would probably still work

https://support.google.com/a/contact/domain_in_use

Fintan

Heh Fintan - buy the way - thanks again - that linked helped ... turns out some other 3rd party must have tried to set up this domain some time ago - it has been released and we're starting the process of taking the client into the "Google-sphere" LOL ! Slรกinte!

I have tried the above advice from Fintan but this is still not working. When I contacted Google Domain support they advised me that they can not transfer .ie TLD's yet. Very disappointing.

FYI, Google has sold their Google Domains business to Squarespace (even though they've been embarrassingly slow about actually informing any of their customers of that fact). See https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/16/23763340/google-domains-sunset-sell-squarespace for the details. So it's unlikely that they're going to be making any improvements/changes to Google Domains. (Sigh.)