Future of Google Currents and Migration to Spaces - 8AM EDT / 1PM BST / 5:30PM IST

Published on ‎08-26-2022 12:22 PM by Community Manager | Updated on ‎08-31-2022 02:27 PM

Last year, we introduced Spaces, a dedicated place for organizing people, topics, and projects in Google Workspace. Since launching Spaces, many customers have told us that they appreciate the tight integration with Google Workspace products, including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Meet, and the seamless collaboration experience.

With Spaces now available, starting in 2023 we are planning to wind down Google Currents and bring remaining content and communities over to the new Spaces experience.

Join us on September 14th at 1PM BST to learn more about the Currents migration to Spaces. Kriti Jindal, our Currents PM, will lead the session and walk you through what to expect as part of the migration.

Save your spot by selecting the "Yes" button on the right, and ask your questions in advance by posting a comment below

This time doesn't work for you? Sign up for our session at 4PM PDT / 9AM AEST here.

Meeting information

Featured Guests
Staff

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Wed, Sep 14, 2022 05:00 AM PDT
End:
Wed, Sep 14, 2022 05:30 AM PDT
42 Comments
santi
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hello, 

Previous to the opt-in migration planned for Q4, is it possible to have a single community in currents migrated as a PoC?
Also, which features are today missing in Spaces and current roadmap for implementation?

Thank you!

Hey Santi - they said it's not possible. All or nothing.

I agree this would be very beneficial, we would also like to test-migrate small (or big, problematic) communities first.

jintogeorgep
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

let Google Currents to continue in Google Workspace to engage Employees, to connect together in Organization #EnagageEmployees

Also make Google Currents available for Consumer/personal accounts to connect the people,world together. #GoogleCurrents

100 % agree to above point.

jintogeorgep
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Google Currents is very important in organizations for the better collaboration, to keep in touch with everyone, To communicate or to know each other. In a very big organizations the collaboration through chat is limited, but through "Currents" the collaboration is more vast
(1) Organization or project team can create polls
(2) Organization can share the important updates about Organization. (3) Different Communities/clubs in the organization can share their posts. (4) Currents Can act as a profile in Gmail or Google Chat (5) Employees can update their profile by new skill set or they can share New skill set/certification they acquired. (6) Employees can share their moments like Promotion or achievements etc (7) Managers can give their Appreciation/appreciation note to the employees/teams which will motivate others. (8) Organization can go live in Currents (for internal discussion)  and many more...... So Google Currents is very important in Google Workspace.

All of that is true, but it's not going to happen. Everyone knew that already in 2019 when Google+ was closed off from consumer accounts. It was only a question of time, how long we were going to have Google+/Currents, before it was killed off.

Google has always had too many competing community/Chat/IM/Communications products at the same time, and has killed almost all of them within a few years. We got more than a decade of Google+/Currents. That's more than all the rest.

I didn't want Google+ to be closed off. I don't want Currents to go away, and I would have liked it to be full public, and not walled off.

I also know when to stop flogging a dead horse.

True..

Dominguef
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Will this be recorded? I will be at work during this and would love to see it. 

ya this will be recorded

Hi @Dominguef, yes, this will be recorded and available to watch after the live session. You'll see the link to the recording on this page here. I recommend marking that you'll attend even if you can't make it live, so we can send you the link once it's available. Thanks!

Awesome! Google all the way!!

Ya sure

Positively be present in the live session

kim_nilsson
Silver 5
Silver 5

Questions for the session.

None of these three points are acceptable to any long-term/large Currents community, and will need to be solved in some way.

• Google+ posts—A post made before the July 2020 Google Currents launch.
    - We have quality content in our community dating back to 2012. Do not wish to lose any of it.

• Posts outside of your Chat retention policy—Posts made outside of the Chat retention window for your domain that are not in a legal hold.
    - What does this even mean? Again, we can not under any circumstances lose any content.

• Posts owned by Guests—A post made by a user outside of your domain. We’re currently looking into how to migrate this data.
    - This is just completely unacceptable.
    - 99.99% of all content is made by users not part of the domain which currently owns the Currents community.

Hi Kim,

• Google+ posts - For posts older than Jul 2020, you can download that data via takeout. 
  • Retention policy - Currents doesn't have any data retention policies today. But if you have data retention policies set for Chat and Spaces, then we will honor that setting as part of the migration.
  • Guest posts - Guest posts will be migrated. Whether or not we can display the external guests names post migration will be determined by Chat settings for the domain external guests belongs to. 

Thanks for the update, @kjindal - I understand the bit about Chat Vault retention now.
Glad to hear about Guest Posts. That would have been a disaster to lose.

Still sad about losing easy availability of 8 years of content.

@kjindal ,

Currently Takeout only allows an administrator to export Currents Communities that we own or moderate.  Will we be able to export ALL communities even if we are not a member of them?  (As far as I know there is no way for me to add myself as an owner to all Communities).

VERY important question.

isabelle
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Is it possible to have screenshots of Google Spaces after migration from Currents on PC & mobile? In order to make a communication about the new interfaces to come? Thank you in advance (the ones from your support that we saw during the Live)