Future of Google Currents and Migration to Spaces - 8AM EDT / 1PM BST / 5:30PM IST

Published on ‎08-26-2022 12:22 PM by Community Manager | Updated on ‎08-31-2022 02:27 PM

Last year, we introduced Spaces, a dedicated place for organizing people, topics, and projects in Google Workspace. Since launching Spaces, many customers have told us that they appreciate the tight integration with Google Workspace products, including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, and Meet, and the seamless collaboration experience.

With Spaces now available, starting in 2023 we are planning to wind down Google Currents and bring remaining content and communities over to the new Spaces experience.

Join us on September 14th at 1PM BST to learn more about the Currents migration to Spaces. Kriti Jindal, our Currents PM, will lead the session and walk you through what to expect as part of the migration.

Save your spot by selecting the "Yes" button on the right, and ask your questions in advance by posting a comment below

This time doesn't work for you? Sign up for our session at 4PM PDT / 9AM AEST here.

Meeting information

Featured Guests
Staff

Event has ended
You can no longer attend this event.

Start:
Wed, Sep 14, 2022 05:00 AM PDT
End:
Wed, Sep 14, 2022 05:30 AM PDT
42 Comments

We will make it available as part of the change management document that we will publish in the coming weeks. 

Hi, is there an update to the change management doc? When would it be released?

That would be amazing if there is one that can be shared - our business is a very heavy user of currents and we are very concerned about this change and need a lot more clarity on how it is going to look after migration and the change should be managed.

Good question

kjindal
Staff

Thanks for joining us! Here are some of the questions we weren't able to get to live -
- What about admin feature to block students from creating spaces? -> This feature is not currently available and we will evaluate it as part of the roadmap.
- Will the categories of Currents be available in Spaces? -> Unfortunately, categories will not be migrated over to Spaces
- Will Spaces be included in cloudsearch? -> We are evaluating this
- Would you provide a feature to export organization wide posts to consider other more custom migration approaches? -> We are unable to provide custom migration options. 

I would very much like to have Spaces & Chat included in Cloudsearch - that would make is extremely strong!

In-line threading in Spaces was announced 1 year ago. Is it going to be luanched in 2023 or it is planned for sooner release? 

bill_pier3
Silver 4
Silver 4

When is THIS LIST of features going to be fully implemented?!

YES, when?

Promises, promises.

Many of these features are already implemented. We are continuously launching new capabilities and you can also find what's new here: https://support.google.com/a/table/7314896?visit_id=637988517687735877-1321573329&p=whatsnew&rd=1

dwibo12
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hi, would it be possible to get access to the decks used for yesterday's presentation. It would help us a lot to explain how Currents' features are mapped out in Spaces. Thanks. 

We will publish the content as part of the change management material in the coming weeks. 

churchadmin
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

I need help with Spaces - not Currents.  My Space is orphaned because I didn't know you had to add a new Space Manager before deleting one - but my Spaces wouldn't let me do that so I deleted the Space Manager.  Now the Space is "orphaned" and there is no way to transfer all data and history and files to a new Space.

I don't think that's possible, yet.

We're still missing the most basic admin management of Spaces. Can't list, manage membership nor delete.

APIs are supposed to be released in Q4, but I can't say for sure when/if we're going to get a gui to manage Spaces. 

Ridiculous - they want us to move away from products like Slack or Teams but don't give good functionality.  You'd think they would want to do considering the data they'd glean...

If we could get something similar to how shared drives is managed in the admin console, that would be pretty great start I think. The basics are there. List all the drives (spaces), see members, member roles and management. Delete function. Settings. Then add some relevant meta data perhaps.

ya that would be great

Cannot agree more.

dwibo12
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hi all,

I have an additional question on the migration to Spaces (Kriti might've mentioned this in the video, if so please help to link a timestamp)

1. What happens to Currents communities that are larger than the current Spaces limit of 8000? Will those communities still be migrated? Will we see two spaces that hold the communities member and its posts?

I appreciate all the help and direction that the community can offer. Thank you.

Communities larger than 8k will be migrated. Please refer to this help center article for more details: https://support.google.com/a/answer/11930874