Appsheet assisted with OpenAI ChatGPT

Hi everyone,

I'd like to use this post to share information and discuss the possibilities of using ChatGPT with Appsheet. From the tests I've conducted, ChatGPT works well for creating simple functions and even complex formulas as long as you provide a comprehensive and consistent question. Don't hesitate to ask complex, detailed, and original questions, even if it means talking to ChatGPT as if it were a child.GFormMLH_0-1672749616498.png

GFormMLH_2-1672749654475.png

It's pretty impressive but it's the very least of its capabilities. 

I'm still wondering of a way to use it to improve productivity in creating apps. 

But for learning and Q&A it can be helpful/interesting for a lot of people. For example a website integration if you provide app-creating service.

Happy new year !

Of what I know RN you can :

- Create simple functions

- Ask to analyse and explain formulas

- Ask to make a formula shorter/less heavy

- Ask any 'How to do' wathever

14 10 1,613
10 REPLIES 10

@baba_sawane wrote:

GFormMLH_2-1672749654475.png

Hi @baba_sawane thank you very much for sharing this tipp. GPT is very powerful. But as you example shows, we must be careful.
Option 1 is out of date. It explains how to create a workflow, which is now called "Bot" in AppSheet.
Option 2 is not possible. There is no NOTIFY() expression in AppSheet.

CC @WurmbrandY 

TLDR: be careful with taking answers about AppSheet-specific things from ChatGPT, it makes things up a lot and is often wrong.

There is definitely a lot of potential here, but unfortunately my deep dives into what's possible have also shown me how things are really skewed away from the 'AppSheet' side of things.

Asking anything general in nature about data science, app building, etc. will get you amazing results

But ask it something specifically related to AppSheet, and it can be difficult to elicit the correct response

• I've been researching methods to increase the accuracy of the responses
  • Preliminary tests are very promising, but there's a long way to go

If you'd like to follow the progress of this project you can become a www.Patreon.com/MultiTech supporter, I'll be making regular progress updates on this front as things progress.

I thought I would test it with a complex question the other day, and asked "how do I loop in Appsheet". It tried to tell me to use several functions that don't exist in Appsheet, like FOREACH(), and was outputting code with an equals sign in front, like it was a spreadsheet formula. I told it that it was wrong multiple times, and it apologized, but continued telling me very wrong things. Haha

@Marc_Dillon wrote:

I told it that it was wrong multiple times, and it apologized, but continued telling me very wrong things. Haha

Haha - yeah, it's not very good at AppSheet.... yet ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

I use ChatGPT to create Apps Script functions, which I trigger from my AppSheet apps. For example, I have an app that I use for project tracking. When I create a new project record in AppSheet, I want it to trigger and Apps Script function to create a corresponding folder in Workspace My Drive. Then copy a couple document templates into that folder. 

I asked ChatGPT to "Write an Apps Script function to create a Google Doc"

unnamed.png

From there I was able to customize the function (with additional help from ChatGPT)!

Now THIS.... it can do ALL... DAY!

I've been cooking up all SORTs of things!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found a smooth workflow is:

• Chat with ChatGPT to get the general answer you're looking for (script wise)
  • Then run that script over to the playground, where you can use things like Codex to debug with more nuance

Little update : 

As some of you noticed there are a lot of errors in formulas generated by the IA. As @MultiTech said using Playground you can increase the accuracy ; 

Copy/Pasting the list of functions table to Playground and saving it will prevent the IA from using non-existing functions. 

Way more practical since you can save presets in the playground ๐Ÿ˜›

Yesterday it rewrote an appscript I wrote to collect data from our economy system. It went from 30 seconds to 1 second fetch and write time. ๐Ÿ’

As with search, it is something you have to learn to do well to get fruitful results.

• Clear instructions, and I mean CLEAR instruction.  Throw every relevant detail in there.
  • If it fails, provide it with errors as the conversation goes along.
  • Show similar code or hint to using certain expressions. 
  • When it does something clever, ask it how it came to these conclusions. You might learn something.
  • And last but not least: Say Thank you, Master.
    (Better to get used to it sooner than later!)

I have a comment and a proposal.  The comment is rather basic.  I had a complicated expression and got an error saying that the number of open and closed parentheses did not match.  Fixing something like this isn't exactly rocket science but I kept getting confused.  So, I asked ChatGPT to fix it for me and it worked well.  Here's the conversation:

https://chat.openai.com/share/f061f1fe-035d-455d-8901-1617931f23d9

And here's my proposal: How about reporting prompts that assisted successfully in the app creation or editing process as tips?  I'll post my own simple usage as an example of what I'm thinking about.  I'll title it "ChatGPT prompt: Correcting open and closed parentheses issue" and tag it with "integration."  If others would be willing to follow my format or tweak it as they see fit and post examples of how ChatGPT can work well with AppSheet, I'd love to read such posts.

Top Labels in this Space