Question about ingesting from GCS buckets using feeds management UI

I have a question:
When Ingesting from GCS buckets using feeds management UI, it mentions that chronicle doesn’t need authentication for the bucket because it has internal user, is this user a global user or specific to that cloud account? Can i ingest arbitrary bucket i don’t own but know the address to without authentication as unstructured logs and be able to view some bucket contents in chronicle?

0 6 368
6 REPLIES 6

I’m happy to give you a bucket and see!

EDIT: Obviously I will need to clear this internally

Super interesting actually, I see no reason why this wont work if the bucket owner is an existing chronicle customer (and has allowlisted the global service account that reads buckets: 8911409095528497-0-account@partnercontent.gserviceaccount.com ) . This could lead to some crazy information disclosure if you can enum clients and buckets

Yeah thats what i thought, If i have the public address of a bucket i don’t own, and then maybe i know that the owner is a Chronicle customer or by coincidence they are a Chronicle customer, i should be able to add it via feeds management.

I don’t have Chronicle SIEM access, Picked up the logic from the SIEM fundamentals course. But @Ion_Todd @Gal_Polak1 if you end up validating this theory please also let me know if its completely bananas , that would be great.

@Ion_Todd Ever got around testing that logic?

According to this , it looks like the prerequisite setup is universal to all chronicle SIEM customers who want to setup bucket feeds, So if i know the bucket URL of any other valid customer who has this setup then it should work unless there is additional auth logic