May 2, 2024

lizlynch
Staff

Deployment Time: 12:50 PM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Enhancements For desktop UI (preview), the following enhancements have been released:
  • Multi-level drilldowns now support more flexible filtering options. Users may now select 'All' at any level of a multi-level drilldown to go to the next level without filtering the results by a grouping at the current level.
  • Multi-color formatting icon support in card views. For example:

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 10.05.28 AM.png

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug For desktop UI (preview), fixed a bug where [_THISROW_BEFORE] did not correctly resolve the "before" value for some expressions in Input modal forms.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Enhancement Preview an app as an individual account in the new desktop design (preview)

You can preview an app as an individual account while viewing the app in the new desktop design. Change the Preview as field directly in the desktop UI. See Preview an app as an individual account.

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 50% of premium users.
Preview: Deployed to 100% of free users and 25% of premium users.

Preview announcements

Preview feature releases enable you to try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. See Product launch stages.

• No new preview features were released today.

The following tables summarize the preview features that are currently available.

Item Description
Feature AppSheet apps for desktop users (Preview)

The new desktop design, currently in preview, is optimized for desktop browsers, presenting a more complete view of information with a consistent organization and structure. The new desktop design lets users navigate their apps more easily and access information in context, and provides an efficient way to edit existing records without losing context. The legacy desktop design, enabled by default, provides an experience similar to the mobile and tablet device.

For more information, see:

In addition, the AppSheet preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. For more details and to opt-in, see AppSheet preview program.

4 12 511
Authors
12 Comments
Denzil_Snyman
Silver 2
Silver 2

@lizlynch I don't think I understand the change, maybe just me. Would a sample picture  or something be possible for following:

Multi-level drilldowns now support more flexible filtering options. Users may now select 'All' at any level of a multi-level drilldown to go to the next level without filtering the results by a grouping at the current level

Skip2MiLu
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I was just going to ask for the same thing @lizlynch 

Julien
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi there,

I really like the new "All" group by feature. Very nice to know what field is used for grouping. However, in some of my Apps, I use Virtual Column for grouping. In that specific case, the "All" displays the name of the VC instead of the result of its formula. Is that an intended behavior ?

Thanks

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

Hi @lizlynch ,

There are many bugs with All groups.  We only need a All group total no need group All for subtitle because it be showed up above

We only need a All group totalWe only need a All group total

hagiangth42
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

That looks really silly.

hagiangth42_0-1714729500416.png

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

@hagiangth42 wrote:

That looks really silly.

A terrible update feature from the Dev team, please test the feature thoroughly before releasing it to users. @lizlynch 

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

Someone created this with total confusion. It's confusing for users and even for me, the one who made the grouping.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 11.51.22.png

Rifad
Silver 5
Silver 5

@lizlynch wrote:

Multi-color formatting icon support in card views.

Could you please show us a sample ?

lizlynch
Staff

@Rifad - I added a screenshot example for the multi-color icon update. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm passing on the feedback on the All feature. Stay tuned!

hien_nguyen
Silver 2
Silver 2

@lizlynch wrote:

I added a screenshot example for the multi-color icon update. Thank you for the suggestion

I think the team dev working too carelessly, They only tested with 1 group column but never checked with multiple of group columns.

Adam-google
Staff

I can try to provide some more context on the drilldown change. Having an "All" option at every level of grouping has always been the behavior of drilldown views on mobile and inline drilldown views on desktop, such as in dashboards. The original rationale for that was to allow for a more flexible filtering behavior, as the user can effectively skip filtering at any grouping level. The change in this release to include "All" at each level was meant to make the desktop drilldown interface consistent with these other places, as it was recognized that some filtering states that can be applied in mobile or in inline views could not be reproduced in top-level views. Showing the name of the field at each level was intended to provide additional context to the user about what the individual options are referring to.

Considering the feedback in this thread so far, we'll revisit this and see if we can find a clearer way to present it.

Skip2MiLu
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi @Adam-google 

I guess I understand what you trying to do. I.e. get the benefits of the mobile environment in the desktop environment. 

Was playing around with it in one my apps and I can see the benefit. I however understand everyone else comments as I sure that are "Used to" or "Muscle Memory" the previous setup.

Screenshot 24.05.06 (17.15.22).gif