User Interface for DB modification via Looker

I’m not sure this is actually a LookML question but I’m not sure where else it would fit. My group is investigating tying Looker analytics to a user interface that would in turn save the result of that interaction back into the database.

So there are our stored data elements which we run through tests coded in LookML and the results are displayed on a dashboard in a type of pass/fail/risk categorization. Our idea is to have the tests be loaded via rule sets instead of being hard coded in LookML and to further, allow the user to modify the rule sets via an interface integrated into Looker that would give basic create/update/delete abilities and have those rules saved back into the DB for Looker to use going forward.

One method is to embed Looker into a custom application but that would not be ideal. Ideally the user would navigate to Looker to use the dashboard and explores and go into a rule management interface to update the rule set when needed and not have to leave the Looker website.

I am curious if anyone has seen something like this or has an idea about it with a pointer to resources/examples. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

0 4 293
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Chris,

This sounds like something that could be addressed using the new Extension Framework.
That would remove the need for an external site and the users would be able to navigate to it from within Looker.
Have a look at the documentation here: https://docs.looker.com/data-modeling/extension-framework/extension-framework-intro

Thank you for the reply. I will look into it.

If you have a solution, it would be great if you could share your experiences with us.
We are also currently working on this topic.

Another useful feature for this is our Action API. Here’s a sample showing some data write-back: Update(write-back) data on BigQuery from Looks?

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors