Unable to pull or push code on Looker UI using git actions

I am developing the views and models in my personal branch. After that I am trying to pull the code from production and merge it. But I am not able to merge it, it says : Someone else has made changes to this branch. 35 commits to be pulled or pull merge failed.

I tried to view project on bitbucket and then push the code to personal branch and merge to master. I have also tried creating a new branch. I am able to create new branch from git commands but not via Looker UI git actions. On Looker, it's showing access issues. I expect that I should be able to follow all the steps on UI like merge and pull or push to production etc and views and models created after that should be visible to everyone.

Solved Solved
0 4 1,841
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I checked with Looker support and they asked to reset the git connection for this issue.
Steps to follow are: https://cloud.google.com/looker/docs/best-practices/how-to-migrate-to-a-new-git-repo#simple_solution

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

The error message "Someone else has made changes to this branch" means that changes have made changes to the production branch since you last pulled from it which will cause a conflict when you try to merge your changes, because Git doesn't know which changes to prioritize.

There are a few ways to resolve this conflict:

1. Resolve the conflicts manually. This is the most common way to resolve merge conflicts. It involves opening each file that has a conflict, and manually choosing which changes to keep. This can be time-consuming, but it's the only way to ensure that your changes are merged correctly.
  2. Use a merge tool. A merge tool is a software application that can help you resolve merge conflicts automatically. There are many different merge tools available, such as Meld, KDiff3, and WinMerge.
  3. Rebase your changes. Rebasing is a way of rewriting your history so that your changes are applied on top of the latest changes in the production branch. This can be useful if you've made a lot of changes since you last pulled from production, and you don't want to manually resolve the conflicts. However, rebasing can also be dangerous, because it can change the history of your branch.

*Fingers Crossed* Once you've resolved the conflict, you can merge your changes to the production branch. To do this, run the following command:

Code snippet
git merge production

If the merge is successful, you should be able to see your changes in production. 

Thanks Roderick for sharing this solution. But I am able to resolve conflicts from git commands but not via Looker UI and when I am trying to push to remote branch or master via my local command prompt, though it's getting pushed, but it's not visible on Looker UI. 

And, I am not to push from Looker UI.

I checked with Looker support and they asked to reset the git connection for this issue.
Steps to follow are: https://cloud.google.com/looker/docs/best-practices/how-to-migrate-to-a-new-git-repo#simple_solution

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad our friends in support were able to help out! 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors