Pull Field Labels & Descriptions from separate tiny table?

Long story short.

Have a survey with many questions - say 20.

Each question is a column - I know it can be done via rows but that's separate pros/cons.

I want the question fields to be named q1 ... q20 for lookml purposes. Static references.

But obviously a short + long description (aka Label and Description) that actually has a short + long text of what the question is, would be useful.

So let's say I have 10,000 survey responses and 20 questions.

The question ID - label - description is a very teeny tiny table.

However I'm struggling to see how I get this into LookML.

Yes, Labels and Descriptions can make use of Liquid Variables. Great.

However, let's say the tables are SurveyResponse and SurveyQuestion --- .... a "Join" wouldn't work because a join is done on row values, not actual column names ... how do I "join" -- Q1 = "What is your name?"

Now yes, this could be solved if I made each Question - Survey ID it's own row, but you lose some ease of use there for the user --- not to mention some relation data between dimensions.

I suppose there's no way to inject Labels + Descriptions from a separate dimensional table? Trying to be a bit too clever I guess.

0 1 55
1 REPLY 1

Trying to be a bit too clever I guess.

We love to see it. Looker and LookML can enable some pretty crazy stuff.

But I think you're right that this is a step beyond possible. The liquid approach seems promising, but at the end of the day, you basically have to simulate a join or lookup. Liquid doesn't go that far.

Like you said, you have to have something to connect the tiny label table to the larger questions table. A question ID row in the larger questions table would be my first suggestion, but it seems like your requirements don't allow for that.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors