One Button Solution - Period over Period Analysis with a Set Trend for each Date Type

Hi!

What I currently have is the following:

A “to date filter”, that filters yesterday, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly

When selecting each of these filter the following trend graph will produce the following

Trends: Yesterday = Past 30 Days | Week = Past 12 Weeks | Month = Past 12 Months | Quarter = Past 12 Quarters | Year = Past 3 Years

Viz 1

Trend Graph 1 (Current Period) Starting from This Year

Viz 2

Trend Graph 2 (Last Period) Starting from Last Year

I am trying to combine these trend graphs into one, and do a SET period over period analysis. Was wondering if I can get any guidance on how this should be coded in LookML, and what should I refer to! Thanks!

0 2 193
2 REPLIES 2

We just released this open source period over period block. It’s not just one button, but it might do what you need. It also has a series of filters similar to what you described, with the ability to filter current day, yesterday, and last full week / month / quarter /year.

https://github.com/Cold-Bore-Capital/looker_period_control

YouTube video is in the docs at the top. It has been fully tested for Redshift, mostly tested for BigQuery, and not tested at all fo Snowflake, though I am interested in helping to debug if someone using Snowflake if willing to work with me. I suspect that it will work for Snowflake as the syntax is nearly identical to Redshift.

We just released this open source period over period block. It’s not just one button, but it might do what you need. It also has a series of filters similar to what you described, with the ability to filter current day, yesterday, and last full week / month / quarter /year.

https://github.com/Cold-Bore-Capital/looker_period_control

YouTube video is in the docs at the top. It has been fully tested for Redshift, mostly tested for BigQuery, and not tested at all fo Snowflake, though I am interested in helping to debug if someone using Snowflake if willing to work with me. I suspect that it will work for Snowflake as the syntax is nearly identical to Redshift.

Hey!

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

After a week of work, I was able to get it to work!

The concept was to create a one button solution so the end users (business) don’t need to select a range of dates, instead they can just click on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly, to see a comparison of set dates from current year vs previous year.

For example when choosing weekly, it will show 12 weeks of this year from the current date, vs 12 weeks from last year. The overall concept is to show a trend graph that is able to compare the two. 

What you have above definitely is a more dynamic way of providing the final users to have different options. In our case, we wanted to create the one button solution, as this dashboard might be shared with people in the field, who aren’t necessarily tech savy!

Either way, I appreciate this!

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors