How to share only a explore with an external user

Hi,

I would like to know how can you give access to a user only to a specific explore.

You can create a model set with a specific model, and create a role so the user will have access only to that model, and it works fine, but Im wondering if you can go one step ahead and restrict the access only to specifics explores within that model.

Would it be possible?

Thanks in advance

0 4 1,928
4 REPLIES 4

Sure thing, send me a message on twitter my username is nelsoncyberhelp 

Hi @carlosavendano - I think there is a way we can give access to a specific explore. We can is the option "required_access_grants" within a model file. You can check this youtube video  @22:03. It talks about how we can define a access grant and then use it within an explore definition to specify which users will have access to it.

Hope this helps!

~A

Thank you!

That could work, although imagine that you have this situation: you have created 20 explores, and you want some external users to have access to just 1 explore. Using that acccess grant, you can decide who will be able to access that 1 explore, but you cannot restrict the access to the other explores, except if you create an access grant for all of your other explores with an user attribute that all of your users have except the external ones. 

Its a bit complicated but it could work, I will try it. I was looking for an option like "this user will ONLY have access to that explore" rather than "this explore will be accessible only by this user"

Thank you again

I agree that it will be bit cumbersome and make your model file dirty with additional text to implement the access control. But as explores are not pre-defined abstract objects in Looker but created on the fly, this also gives a great level of flexibility too as the code written to define explores can be dynamically changed using liquid parameter.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors