Easy way for suggestable values that are not necessarily in output data?

I have an explore like the following:

derived_table: {
sql: select distinct account_id from table where state in (IL, TX, CO) 

}

except the state field is a templated filter parameter.

However I've having difficulty making the filter "suggest_dimension" any sensible field. I want it to pull a list of states (this is an example, could be any list of dimensions).

The output data does not contain state data -- but it seems the "suggest_dimension" can only really exist on a potential dimensional output of the data, right? Even if joined to another explore? I suppose this might be a hard limitation.

It can't point to another dimensional table .... like no (select state from dim_table.state) as a filter suggestion? ... I could add a hidden max(state) field to the derived table, but that's a bit sloppy. It might work in practice but is a bit hacky.

0 1 160
1 REPLY 1

I'll answer my own question -- apparently, in Looker Dashboards -- you can bring in Filters from unrelated explores --- in the 'advanced' filter item. --- As long as the dimension is the same, it can pass from Explore A -> Explore B without a join. -- Small dimensional tables/ explores used only for filtering purposes can be brought in this way.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors