Beta alert! Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer beta exam is open for registration

carrie
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer beta exam is now open for registration. Delivery of the beta exam began on February 21st, and continues through March 21st. 

Enterprise readiness is a top priority for Google Cloud, and Cloud Learning Services wants to help accelerate customer onboarding with awesome training, skill badges, and robust certifications. We are excited to announce the new beta version of the Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer exam, which will enable qualified Cloud DevOps Engineers to demonstrate their ability to design and implement DevOps solutions in Google Cloud.

Recommended learning path for this certification:

• Google Cloud Fundamentals: Core Infrastructure

• Developing a Google SRE Culture

• Reliable Google Cloud Infrastructure: Design and Process

• Logging, Monitoring, and Observability in Google Cloud

• Getting Started with Terraform for Google Cloud

• Cloud Operations and Service Mesh with Anthos

For more information, check out the Cloud DevOps Engineer exam page.

A little more about the beta certification exams

Beta certification exams are newly developed assessments. The Google Cloud certification team gathers performance statistics on the  questions and uses these statistics to create the certification standards for the final exam.

Beta participants will be notified of their exam results within 6 to 8 weeks. You can pass the current GA exam or the beta exam to become Google Cloud Certified.

Feel free to check out the FAQ page for Google Cloud beta certification exams!

19 REPLIES 19

How is this different from the previous offered DevOps Engineer exam?

The beta is a refreshed version of the exam, and includes new case studies. For a detailed overview of the beta exam (and those new case studies), you can visit the Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer certification page.

A few other differences between our beta exams and our GA exams: when taking the beta, you save 40% off the catalog price of the GA (General Availability) exam, and receive exclusive Google Cloud–branded apparel for participating in the beta. The beta attempt will not count toward your total of 4 allowable exam attempts. Beta exam results are not released until the beta closes, so it may take a little longer to receive your results.

Will this extend my current DevOps Enginer certification?

Great question! You can indeed participate in the beta exam regardless of your certification status. If you are already certified, passing a beta exam counts as recertification and your two-year certification term restarts.

Is the GA exam available now?  I can not see it in `Google Cloud Certification Exams`

it is no longer visible on Kryterion, I passed the DevOps exam last year about this time - I saw this post and it reminded me to register for ML exam. I only see it in the beta, but I still see the GA under my passed certifications. From a lifecycle aspect - it brings up many questions - I know the Data Engineer test is also being updated. Maybe the question should be - how are new versions of tests introduced and how does it impact recertification? 

@OmarKataa per the website, registration for the current GA exam is closed during the beta period and will reopen in late March. Folks who registered for the GA exam prior to the beta launch will still take the GA exam, but it is not possible to register for GA while the beta is open.

@carrie  When will be the GA version of the Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer exam registration will open ?

I have a question. Will a new GA version be released right after the beta version ends?

@Kelly_08 That is a great question! After the beta ends, the GA exam does not get updated for a few weeks (there are several operational steps that need to happen between beta close and new GA open). The new GA version going live will be announced prior to release so that folks who have registered for the exam can make sure they study with any updates to the exam guide.

jkz
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Will it tell you passed on the day like other GCP exams?

No you have to wait for the beta to close

@jkz The beta will not give you a pass/fail indication right away - the results are all released at the same time, which is after the beta ends and the data can be analyzed.

jkz
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

So on the day of the exam the program cannot tell you if you passed or failed and you have to wait 6-8 weeks to find out? Regular GA exams tell you there and then followed by official confirmation after review.  

jkz
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

The point being Google will not allow you to retake an exam in 2 weeks if you happen to fail. This does not make sense especially with respect to time studying and effort. You could get nearly two AWS certifications in the time Google will give your results.

@jkz Good news (I hope) - the beta does not count towards your total attempts, so you can take the GA any time. I know that for some, waiting for the beta to close and the results to be determined and released isn't a viable option, in which case I would recommend waiting to register for the GA. 

As far as the cool-off period after an unsuccessful exam attempt: If you don't pass an exam, you can take it again after 14 days. If you don't pass the second time, you must wait 60 days before you can take it a third time. If you don't pass the third time, you must wait 365 days before taking it again. 

If i fail the beta exam, can i get the GA exam voucher for free? and 

One more doubt that i scheduled the exam with vocuher and i want to cancel it, how can i get the refund since i used voucher.

jkz
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Hi again, how many questions are on the Devops beta exam as opposed to the GA version? It looks like the length is 4 hrs, versus that of GA.

thanks

I have appeared for this beta exam yesterday and got 111 questions.

Top Labels in this Space