Zone resource pool and Quotas exhausted

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a very basic project working on GCP in my spare time for a few days, to evaluate whether to move some bigger projects to the platform. 

However, I keep running into the same problems, and can't provision any resources on GKE, or build secondary boot disk images. The error I get when trying to create a new node pool is

"ZONE_RESOURCE_POOL_EXHAUSTED"

in the Instance Groups error logs, even after I've tried different zones all across europe at this point.

When trying to build secondary boot disks (for container image caching on the nodes in the node pool), I get 

"Code: QUOTA_EXCEEDED
Message: Quota 'N2_CPUS' exceeded.  Limit: 8.0 in region europe-west1."

I have no idea why building a simple disk image would attempt provisioning of 8 relatively large compute engines, nor why it complains about my quotas, since I set them to "autoscale".

Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance!

5 1 134
1 REPLY 1

Hi RespiceFinem,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community.

Based on the error you've mentioned "ZONE_RESOURCE_POOL_EXHAUSTED" and "QUOTA_EXHAUSTED" suggests limitations on Google Cloud Platform resource availability that might prevent the ability to provision resources for your project.

The error message "ZONE_RESOURCE_POOL_EXHAUSTED" indicates that there are no available resources in the specific zone you're trying to create your node pool. This happens whenever a specific zone is experiencing high resource demand. You may try to further check on this document for more information.

On the other hand in regards to the "QUOTA_EXCEEDED" error message, it advises that you have exceeded the N2_CPUs quota limit in the region you've selected, in this case, europe-west1.

More info about Quota on this document.

Consider trying to do the following to avoid the errors mentioned:

1.) Change the zone: You may try to create your GKE node pool in a different zone or region where resources are not scarce.

2.) Reduce node pool size: You may want to try to consider creating with a smaller node pool configuration, or adjusting the machine type to use fewer CPUs.

3.) Wait and try again: Some resources can be exhausted temporarily due to high demand. You can try to wait for a short period of time and try to create the node pool again.

I hope this information is useful.

If you need further assistance, you can always file a ticket on our support team.