OS images on GCP not created by me

Hi all!

I own some OS images that I have not uploaded, as shown in the image.

weird_images.png

I would like to know three things.

1. Can I remove these images?

2. These images are charged by google?

3. If I remove these images, they will be created again?

1 3 183
3 REPLIES 3

These are (I believe) the images that you can use as boot disks for Compute Engine instances. 

1. Can you remove an image ... no ... but see bottom.

2. Some images have license fees associated with them and you will be charged those fees in addition to the resource consumptions of your Compute Engines.

3. You can't remove images.

Now ... let's talk about removing images.   These images are what you can use to create boot disks for Compute Engine instances.  If you don't create a Compute Engine instance, then the image is never referenced.  If you create Compute Engine instances, then the image is referenced to create the boot disk.  Some of these images are charged for license fees.   When you ask "Can you remove these images", what I sense you are implying is "Can I constrain which images can be used to create Compute Engine instances from?".   The answer to this one is yes ...

See: https://cloud.google.com/resource-manager/docs/organization-policy/org-policy-constraints

And look for the policy "Define trusted image projects".   Here you can constrain the set of images that new Compute Engines can be created from.  This is primarily present to guard against accidently creating new Compute Engine instances from images that you don't trust in your environment.

I have the same concern about those images , as it shows on under VM>> storage>> image section, each image is about 50Gb, Will I be charge to have those images under my storage ?

@batata45 , @trendy0428  - Maybe you already have the answer to your question. If not, please read on...

As explained in the help text for the "Archive size" column (click the "?" icon in that column's header, screenshot included below for quick reference):

• For public images, the archive size column doesn't show any size, and there's no charge.
  • For custom images, the column does show a size, & you're charged for that  size. To double-check whether an image is public or custom, see the Type column. This column might be hidden, but you can add it to your view by clicking the "Column display options" button that's located at the right-top corner of the table. 

I hope this helps.

kumards_0-1711131035327.png