Allowing third party access to an IAP secured Google App Engine with OAuthV2

We are hosting a Google App Engine with a Python Flask project to run our platform. This is secured using IAP, so employees register their work e-mail as a Google account and are appointed the IAP Secured Web App user role to access our platform.

Now however we want to open certain routes of our platform to a third-party. They want to use OAuthV2 to access certain routes and send requests to our server. Following this tutorial: https://cloud.google.com/iap/docs/authentication-howto#authenticating_from_a_desktop_app I have manged to make an additional OAuth Crendential set that the thrid party can use.

However step 4 of the tutorial mentions the id_token to use in the header of the request. Using that header does indeed work, however if I understand OAuthV2 correctly you are supposed to use the access_token rather than your id_token to make an authenticated request to the server. Can somebody help me out how I can use the access_token rather than the id_token to make the authenticated request?

2 1 354
1 REPLY 1

There is already a submitted feature request for this. You can add your vote to the issue, so the Identity Aware Proxy engineering team would know how many users are impacted.

However, I cannot guarantee this feature’s implementation or give you an ETA as to when it would be developed and released. 

You can check this issue tracker link for updates