looker visualization treating all data as one line?

i have three columns, but because of the nature of the data - looker seems to get two things wrong

1) it treats all three columns as one line - they are all calculation tables

sub note: if i remove the calculation tables, it still treats all the columns as one line anyways

2) it also mixes up the x & y axis when the date should be the x axis and the values should be the y axis

any proposed solutions to fix this?

My inputted SQL table is structured something like this:

Date, Calculation, Calculation
2023-06
2023-05
2023-04
Note: my months are a dimension-group time, and the rest are dimension numbers.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 4.19.36 PM.png

(also - does anyone know if it's possible to put two tables in looker visualization - so i could access one other table to perform additional calculations)

Solved Solved
1 4 2,908
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, if you want to visualise your numeric values as line on this graph, you should create a measure for them, rather than a dimension. This is a change you'll need to do in lookml

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @bzwooyoung555 

First issue I see is the Date column having only year and month, you might want add day to it and format it as a date, so that Looker can interpret it like a date. Looker automatically plots date on X axis and values on Y.

Also, You cannot put two charts (Tables) in single Look but you can create two separate Looker with Common filters and put both inside a dashboard.

~Ashish

Okay - I see! Change from a type: time to a type: date!

By the way, is there any way to manipulate data from both tables in a dashboard and put it into a new table?

Like combining them or dividing one column from another table to another. Something similar to what Excel/Google sheets does.

Right now - I'm combining them through joined SQL queries and a parameter that'll represent a general "month", (since one table has a x axis of their own specific variable column date) but i find that it's not very efficient...

Hi, if you want to visualise your numeric values as line on this graph, you should create a measure for them, rather than a dimension. This is a change you'll need to do in lookml

yup this works thanks

Top Labels in this Space