User Inputs that are used in Calculation fields

I’m trying to create a Dashboard that pulls the SPEND of ad platforms and places them into a Looker dashboard.  I would then like the user to input a BUDGET of each platform and have the dashboard spit out a calculation of what % of the spend was used against the budget (SPEND / BUDGET)%

Is there a way to have a user input a number that is then used dynamically as a calculation field? 

Furthermore if I could save that BUDGET user input and only have it be replaced when we update the dashboard with the next user input that would be amazing. 

0 3 1,975
3 REPLIES 3

There isn’t unfortunately. Not for Table Calculations at least. The only way to use the input would be to create a measure in your LookML and then pull the results of the parameter in there.

The biggest problem is that you want them to enter a list of values, don’t you? That would be tricky. You could create a parameter for each platform or ask them to put some kind of comma separated value list and deal with it using Liquid.

Completely local parameters/user-input values would be extremely useful in many cases..

Thank you for the response!  I take a look around on how to create a measure in LookML!  What’s Liquid?

It’s a language that allows you to manipulate, for example, the SQL-like parameters in LookML before the SQL is generated. In other words it is another layer of processing. 

You can for example use a user-input parameter to select data from different table using Liquid

https://docs.looker.com/reference/liquid-variables

Top Labels in this Space