Is this the best practice for having totals and averages available on the same measure?

Is this the proper way to do this? How do you guys handle the option for users to select either the average/min/max/total of a measure? Do I really have to build all of these variants? This is something super easy in Tableau. I hope I'm just doing it wrong! Thanks!

This could get messy.This could get messy.

1 2 436
2 REPLIES 2

@aaronGCPThere are ways you can set up a measure and use can dynamically select the aggregation type using 'Parameters'. But generally, we would create a separate measure for different aggregation types.  Usually, not many measures would need more than one type of aggregation.

Since In Looker, you are modeling the data, it is not fair to compare it with Tableau. Comparing it with Looker Studio would be appropriate.

Regards,
Prabha Arivalagan

Looker models data but it is also still a visualization tool. I can't let that slide since it's half of the product. That's a shame. It would be nice to do:

type: sum,average,min,max

And then allow that choice to be made when selecting the measure.  Oh well, I will make multiple versions of the same measure. I just need to revisit my naming conventions now. Thanks.

Top Labels in this Space