How do I create QTD and YTD vs QTD and YTD (last year) looker custom dimensions from date field?

Hello all. I'm looking to create some custom dimensions from a date field in Looker. I would like to create the the following - 

• Quarter to date
  • Quarter to day (same quarter last year)
  • YTD
  • YTD (same time last year)

How do I go about this?

Thanks. 

0 3 1,034
3 REPLIES 3

My preferred way to do that is for the modeler to make a set of "Is YtD?", "Is WtD?", etc yes/no dimensions, which explore users can then apply as a filter in any generic measure.

Here is one example: https://github.com/looker-open-source/bigquery_information_schema_block/blob/master/views/date.view....

Part of the "trick" is to create a hidden dimension that actually does not apply to any of the table's columns, but instead to the database's "current date" function, like so:

dimension_group: current {
type: time
datatype: timestamp
sql: CURRENT_TIMESTAMP() ;;
hidden: yes # This is mainly for use in other dimension definitions
timeframes: [day_of_week_index, hour_of_day, day_of_year]
}

dimension: is_ytd {
group_label: "Is period-to-date?"
label: "Is YtD?"
description: "Is year-to-date? Whether the date in question is earlier within its year than the current date. Useful for filtering to comparable parts of the current period and a past period"
type: yesno
sql: ${my_column_day_of_year} < ${current_day_of_year} ;;
}

@fabio1 So this would need to be done in lookml right?

The solution I suggested above must be done in LookML.

In the explore, using Looker filter expressions, I think you could do YTD like so:

extract_days(${query.created_date})
< extract_days(now())
AND
extract_years(${query.created_date})
< extract_years(now())

QTD is probably possible as well, but there are not native quarter functions, so you would have to do some custom math based on the date.

Top Labels in this Space