Drill Downs > Limit on number of Custom Fields in an Explore/Look ?

Hi All,

Fairly new to the Looker game, so be kind 😉

I've encountered what appears to be a problem with drill-downs. When I add >10 Custom Fields to an Explore, my drills fail to work. It doens't appear to be linked to a single specific field, just when I go >10 custom fields.

What I see is

• the typical drill down sub-window appears
  • the 'loading' splash disappears immediately (<1sec)
  • the screen changes to a grey-screen within 5-10secs

Hoping someone can confirm what I'm seeing, or help me understand how I'm abusing Looker 🙂

Also, I'm assuming that I could code these in LookML directly, but before I waste time doing that -- anyone know if that wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance!

Solved Solved
1 5 179
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Issue found to be usage of large numbers of Calculated Fields, which pushed the URL generated for visualisations over the 10K limit.

Converted Calc'd Fields to LookML, issue resolved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hey @Casey_R !

Thanks for taking the time to write that all down. I double checked on my internal instance and my drills worked fine when I had 11 custom fields. So, I wonder if it's something more specific?

I'd be curious if this behavior happened to you on other Explores, or if it's just limited to this one. I'd also be curious to see if other users at your company run into the same problem if you share the link with them and ask them to drill.

Thanks for the reply Sam. I'm still encountering issues with this when I attempt to drill, and I've confirmed with a colleague that they are also experiencing this issue also.

Regarding your other suggestions, if I am to test this on an alternate Explore, would you recommend also a different model?

Last, is there anything in the logs that might help explain what is occurring? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sam / Anyone,

Can confirm that drills are working 

a) in other models 

b) in other explores

c) in the same explore that was the basis for my custom fields (25x), with no custom fields selected for output

d) in the same explore that was the basis for my custom fields (25x) when only selecting 5x custom fields (tried variations of all the custom fields, the issue is not linked to single field just numerically when I add more than 8 of them to a explore and attempt to drill

e) I've tried removing all cross view filters, no impact issue remains

Any help / ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

Issue found to be usage of large numbers of Calculated Fields, which pushed the URL generated for visualisations over the 10K limit.

Converted Calc'd Fields to LookML, issue resolved.

Thanks for updating us! Glad you were able to pinpoint the issue.

Top Labels in this Space