Avoid installing chromium 99 on customer-hosted Looker instances with ubuntu os to prevent rendering issues

Chromium is required for scheduling, sending or downloading Looks and dashboards in data formats like PDF or PNG.

On Looker-hosted customer instances, the chromium installation is managed by the Looker team. However, customers need to manage the chromium installation themselves on customer-hosted Looker instances.

Recently, we are facing with rendering pipeline timeouts with chromium 99 when rendering Looks or Dashboards to PDF/PNG format.  However, because of the issue described above, we are now recommending that customers do not install Chromium 99 until this issue is resolved. 

To install a specific version of chromium on Ubuntu, run the following:

$apt-get update && apt-get install -y chromium-browser=<version-number>

Where version-number is the specific version of chromium you want to install on your machine. We recommend installing any of the chromium 98 or less stable releases applicable for your server platform. You find the list of chromium releases on this page: https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/releases?platform=Linux

1 2 1,161
2 REPLIES 2

Please use the below command to install to install specific version of chromium:

$wget --no-verbose -O /tmp/chrome.deb https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable_${CHROM...
&& apt install -y /tmp/chrome.deb
&& rm /tmp/chrome.deb

In case ($apt-get update && apt-get install -y chromium-browser=<version-number>) this command doesn’t work.

Pinning the chromium-browser doesn’t seem to work for me either.

Since I upgraded my instance of Looker, and built the image with the latest chromium available, all my schedules for pdf/png output are ending with RendererNoRenderFinishedEventReceivedError after running much longer than what they should.

Not ruling out something else is causing it, but since I had changed nothing else since…

At the moment I am using Google Chrome 98.0.4758.102 but I’m still having same issue

Top Labels in this Space