Apply a Dashboard Filter to Multiple Explores

I have a LookML dashboard that displays visualizations from 3 different explores. I would like to add a user-defined filter that 1) is populated with values from the ID column, and 2) applies to all visualizations on the dashboard.

The explores all contain data that represent the same set of devices, but the data is in different formats. For example, one explore is time series data, showing measurements taken at regular intervals over time. Another explore is session data, capturing the aggregation of an event over a defined time period. 

Since all the datasets represent the same set of devices, they all contain this ID column. Is it possible to apply such a filter to the dashboard?

Solved Solved
0 3 2,584
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes @nora-tw , you can apply filters from other explorers, even other explorers in other models. You can add id column (Dimension) from any one explore. And make sure you turn on the "Advanced" toggle button in the filter Editor. Now you should be able to apply the filter to the dimensions in the other explores.

prabhakaran_mai_0-1689119737307.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yes @nora-tw , you can apply filters from other explorers, even other explorers in other models. You can add id column (Dimension) from any one explore. And make sure you turn on the "Advanced" toggle button in the filter Editor. Now you should be able to apply the filter to the dimensions in the other explores.

prabhakaran_mai_0-1689119737307.png

Hello,

I have the same request and I tried seeting the toggle to "Advanced", however, onece I update my dashboard, the toggle turns off. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks for the pointer @prabhakaran_mai ! After tinkering a bit I realized my views had suggestions: no  set, which prevented the filters from auto-populating with column values. After I fixed that, I found I could create a dashboard filter on one explore and have all the other widgets listen to that filter, regardless of what explore they belonged to. 

Filter on dashboard:

name: id_filter
type: advanced
explore: daily_sessions
field: daily_sessions.id

Dashboard element: 

listen:
      id_filter: timeseries.id

Top Labels in this Space