How to write/update data into Bigquery from a Looker dashboad

Is there a way to update/write data from looker into BigQuery? We're trying to use Looker as a user interface where a user can interact with dashboards (in table format, for example) and be able to update/insert data using looker.

We know that Looker is not intent for this sort of thing, however, we have a client who the entire company is very heavy users of lookers and they would like to have this feature.

I had a look on this thread https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Modeling/Update-write-back-data-on-BigQuery-from-Looks/td-p/...

however, I wasn't able to make the example working, it seems this is an old post. Not sure if this is possible, so would like to double check with you guys and if someone could give me some insights I would appreciate the help!

cheers,

Rafael

0 1 1,344
1 REPLY 1

The link you shared has a lot of great insights in the comments. It is true that the (older) "Data Actions" vs the (newer) "Actions"/"ActionHub" are two slightly different Looker features, and that some of the comments in that thread are about "Data Actions", but a lot of it is still applicable since their APIs are very similar. The main difference is the older feature you had to declare in the LookML, and the newer feature you declare in the response from your Action service, which you register from the Admin area.

Other than that nuance, everything there is still relevant. This use case works well with Google Cloud Functions, BQ's Streaming Inserts, and a bit of query-time processing to make the append-only data act somewhat stateful (as needed for your use case)