Get Updated Dashboard Filter Value using API

I am trying to create generate CSV file of a dashboard using the SDK. I seems that Looker only provide the rendered task to generate dashboard to PNG.

So, I'd like to get the query_id of each tiles based on the dashboard_id. Then I noticed that if I change the dashboard filter and updated the dashboard, will the query_id of the dashboard get updated or just use the same query_id but with the latest information with the updated filter value?

0 5 1,765
5 REPLIES 5

The easiest thing to do would be to take the query definition and modify it to your liking with the proper filter, then run the "run_inline_query" api endpoint.

https://developers.looker.com/api/explorer/4.0/methods/Query/run_inline_query

Hi, thank you for your response. I will explain a little bit more about my workflow.  The dashboard filter will be updated by the user from the Looker instance/UI. Then when the user changes the filter and clicks the updated button, I'm thinking about retriving the query_id with the updated filters and values.

Hi  @fajaribnuf  - There is a way to get a URL from Looker that can be used to download the Look's data in csv format. Please follow below steps

1. Go the the specific Look > click the gear on right top > select "Edit Setting" option

a_shah_0-1687957832524.png

2. From the URL section, copy the full part and paste in a notepad, in the URL delete every thing after the '?' , including '?'.

3 The remaining URL will end with '.txt', change it to '.csv' and test the URL in a new tab of browser.

4. For me it worked and downloaded a csv file with data of that particular Look.

Hope this helps

~Ashish

That is a good trick. It requires that the cookies be set for a currently logged in session. It might work perfectly for the original poster's use case, but it might also be hard if the user needs to automate a workflow.

I tried the URL of a public Look in an incognito window and it worked fine. I believe cookies are not required for accessing public Looks externally.