Migration from Container Registry to Artifact Registry

I received the email a few days ago informing me that Container Registry is being phased out and will be replaced by Artifact Registry.

The project that is listed as using Container Registry is an App Engine project I've had running for a few years.

I've never knowingly used Container Registry or Artifact Registry, and I don't really know anything about it, so the email wasn't too helpful in figuring out whether I need to do anything. I'm assuming it's used in the background somewhere, but none of my other App Engine projects use it, so I'm not sure why.

I'm 90% sure I don't need to do anything, but as it said 'action required', if anyone could clarify that would be helpful.

Thanks.

0 5 2,393
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @mnydigital,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

Effective May 15, 2023, Container Registry is deprecated. You can now transition to Artifact Registry if you're using Container Registry. It is now the recommended service for container image storage and management on Google Cloud. You can read about the new features here.

In transitioning, you can choose two types of repositories to transition to Artifact Registry.

You can read more about the overview here.

Let me know if it helped, thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure though whether I need to do anything in response to this change. The project that it says is using Container Registry is just an App Engine project (with SQL and Storage); I've never knowingly used Container Registry. Do I need to take any action?

Hi, the announced change does *not* affect projects that are currently using Container Registry. The "action required" is mostly for people who are creating new projects or planning future integration with Container Registry. It is also recommended that projects currently using Container Registry migrate to Artifact Registry, but this is not required

Hi, thanks for the confirmation, that is what I suspected. I will disregard this notice then. Side note, where does App Engine use Container Registry (and will this update to Artifact Registry for new projects)?

Here's the documentation for how App Engine uses Container Registry:

And from reading the deprecation information, it does sound like new projects or existing projects that did not have anything in Container Registry will use Artifact Registry going forward: