Deprecation of the Container Registry

I came across an announcement stating that the Container Registry will no longer be supported for new GCP projects. I'm worried about the fate of existing GCP projects with the Container Registry service activated. Will I still be able to push/pull images once the Container Registry is no longer available (after May 15, 2024)?

Solved Solved
0 1 1,160
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @danil_lt,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Based on this documentation on Container Registry deprecation:

Container Registry will remain available in projects where either of the following actions occurred before May 15, 2024:

• You enabled the Container Registry API.
  • You pushed an image to a registry host in the project.

However you may need to perform some configurations to handle requests to the gcr.io domain. 

It is recommended to perform the following before the deprecation:

• Test and verify your existing Container Registry workflows work with Artifact Registry before May 15, 2024. You can set up gcr.io domain support in a test project to confirm that existing automation and integration with services such as Cloud Build, Google Kubernetes Engine, or Cloud Functions work as expected. If issues occur, you can reroute gcr.io traffic back to Container Registry and make the required changes to address the issue.

• Transition projects with active Container Registry to Artifact Registry repositories. See Transition from Container Registry to learn about feature differences and transition options.

• Prepare projects where you are not actively using Container Registry, but expect to set up a registry in the future. See Prepare for gcr.io hosted on Artifact Registry by default.

I would also highly suggest to transition to Artifact Registry as Artifact Registry provides the same container management features as Container Registry and includes additional features and benefits. As a fully-managed service with support for both container images and non-container artifacts, Artifact Registry extends the capabilities of Container Registry.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @danil_lt,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Based on this documentation on Container Registry deprecation:

Container Registry will remain available in projects where either of the following actions occurred before May 15, 2024:

• You enabled the Container Registry API.
  • You pushed an image to a registry host in the project.

However you may need to perform some configurations to handle requests to the gcr.io domain. 

It is recommended to perform the following before the deprecation:

• Test and verify your existing Container Registry workflows work with Artifact Registry before May 15, 2024. You can set up gcr.io domain support in a test project to confirm that existing automation and integration with services such as Cloud Build, Google Kubernetes Engine, or Cloud Functions work as expected. If issues occur, you can reroute gcr.io traffic back to Container Registry and make the required changes to address the issue.

• Transition projects with active Container Registry to Artifact Registry repositories. See Transition from Container Registry to learn about feature differences and transition options.

• Prepare projects where you are not actively using Container Registry, but expect to set up a registry in the future. See Prepare for gcr.io hosted on Artifact Registry by default.

I would also highly suggest to transition to Artifact Registry as Artifact Registry provides the same container management features as Container Registry and includes additional features and benefits. As a fully-managed service with support for both container images and non-container artifacts, Artifact Registry extends the capabilities of Container Registry.

Hope this helps.