Cloud Deploy & Multiple Targets

Hello,

I'm wondering if Cloud Deploy supports promoting releases to multiple targets in parallel?

Or what would be the recommended way of deploying a release to a production environment consisting of multiple clusters, that are setup in different regions? Thanks!

4 7 846
7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I am wondering the same thing. I have an Anthos multi-cluster setup and need to push my deployments to all the clusters in the fleet. I could do it via ConfigSync but Cloud Deploy does not support that (see https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Developer-Tools/Cloud-Deploy-and-Config-Sync/m-p/173045).

What would be the recommended approach to this?

Same query, we need to deploy to multiple production clusters, that are setup in different regions.  is it possible to promote a releases to multiple targets in a single stage.

Can we please get a response from any staff related to the Cloud Deploy project.

@Denysand @olitheolix 
Have you been able to find out if this is possible?

Google Cloud Deploy does not support parallel deployments, at this time. Can you please share a bit more (both) regarding your particular use case? We would appreciate any additional details that can be provided towards further evaluating this request. Thank you, again.

Hi @sanderbogdan,

Here is our use case: we have multiple production gke clusters in different regions, we want to be able to run tests in one non-production environment and based on the outcome of those tests promote that release to the production environment(s) where each may have multiple gke clusters.

If we have to do it 1 by 1, it'll be a very long pipeline and it will take a lot of time to deploy a release everywhere. An issue with the deployment in any of the environments will leave other environments running different releases.

Ideally, it'd be great to be able to deploy to multiple targets in parallel, where every target can be a group of clusters that can have additional settings (e.g. some prod environments with multiple clusters require a manual approval step). An ability to undo/rollback a release on multiple targets would be a great thing too.

Thank you so kindly again for the additional detail, @Denys ! We look forward to following up, as discussed!

@ashwinchandrase and @olitheolix - we would be quite keen to learn more about your use case and needs with this scenario also, if you could kindly reply to this thread. I will also try to reach out directly.

Thank you all, again.

All, 

Please note that Cloud Deploy now supports parallel deployments to multiple targets (https://cloud.google.com/deploy/docs/deploy-app-parallel).  Even better, there are also canary, verification, and automation capabilities.  

Hope this helps.