Analytics 360 property linked to BigQuery since 17th April, 2024 but no data in bigquery yet

Hi everybody,

This is my first post so apologies if I'm adding it in the wrong place.

I would very much appreciate any help or insight that anyone has to offer on this issue.

we have a google analytics 360 property that was linked to BigQuery on 17th April, 2024 and it is showing in Analytics 360 as "Actively linked. Sending data" but when I view the connection in BigQuery Studio in Google Cloud, there is no data. The "Data location" is "aws-eu-west-1". I have linked another Analytics 360 property to BigQuery and the data is coming through.

is anyone else having this problem?

Solved Solved
1 2 144
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @silverarm ,

From the data location you have provided "aws-eu-west-1", have you considered localizing your dataset to the EU prior to exporting? As quoted here in the documentation,

“Data is geolocated in the U.S. by default. Localizing your data to the EU after the initial export can cause issues with querying across BigQuery regions. Resolving those issue may require a transfer of data, which has associated costs. We recommend creating the E.U.-localized dataset at this point in order to avoid any negative side effects.

Google Analytics BigQuery Export is incompatible with GCP policies that prevent dataset creation in the US. If you have such a policy on your GCP project, you will have to remove it to export your data to the EU.”

Moreover, when linking BigQuery to Google Analytics 360,

“It is our best practice, and we strongly advise that you link no more than 300 Google Analytics reporting views to a single BigQuery Project. Doing so may degrade the export of intraday data.

You can link only 1 view per property.”

You could also reach out to Analytics 360 support for issues related to linking BigQuery and Analytics 360.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @silverarm ,

From the data location you have provided "aws-eu-west-1", have you considered localizing your dataset to the EU prior to exporting? As quoted here in the documentation,

“Data is geolocated in the U.S. by default. Localizing your data to the EU after the initial export can cause issues with querying across BigQuery regions. Resolving those issue may require a transfer of data, which has associated costs. We recommend creating the E.U.-localized dataset at this point in order to avoid any negative side effects.

Google Analytics BigQuery Export is incompatible with GCP policies that prevent dataset creation in the US. If you have such a policy on your GCP project, you will have to remove it to export your data to the EU.”

Moreover, when linking BigQuery to Google Analytics 360,

“It is our best practice, and we strongly advise that you link no more than 300 Google Analytics reporting views to a single BigQuery Project. Doing so may degrade the export of intraday data.

You can link only 1 view per property.”

You could also reach out to Analytics 360 support for issues related to linking BigQuery and Analytics 360.

Hope this helps.

Hi Maricarp,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into the issue that I was having and for providing such an informative response.

I didn't realise that a dataset could and should be created in advance of linking an analytics 360 view to bigquery.

I following the instructions on creating a dataset in bigquery using the view id of an analytics 360 property as the id and I was able to choose the EU as the data location and then I subsequently linked the analytics 360 view to bigquery and the data location was set to EU. Brilliant.

Back to my original issue, I think now that the reason why the data was not flowing into bigquery for the 2 websites that had been linked to bigquery is that when they were being linked ( not by me ), the bigquery project id somehow was not added and ended up as blank, so today I deleted the 2 datasets and I then re-linked the 2 analytics 360 properties to bigquery and this time the project number was added correctly and I now see data in bigquery. Success.

once again. thank you so much.