Restrict number of solutions per post thread to maximum 1 or 2

In the current AppSheet community , the community member who raises a query can mark any number of posts in that thread as solutions. Please refer to the post below. It has as many as 8 posts in the thread marked as solutions  today.  This will obviously give a skewed statistics. I have requested @LLD   who had raised the query and marked many posts as solutions today to mark any one as solution in the post thread itself.

Solved: Cheque Number Beginning with Zero (0) - Google Cloud Community

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1685621293642.png

If I recollect correctly, the previous AppSheet community portal allowed only any one post in the entire post thread to be marked as a solution.

I think around 80-85 % posts threads need only 1 solution, maybe 12-14 % have 2 solutions ( the solution given by one member is further optimized by another member or a different approach suggested) and hardly 1-2 % post threads could need 3 solutions. I do not have statistical data, but this guestimate is based on my association with community for almost 6 years.

As such, I request AppSheet portal development team and community managers to restrict number of posts that can be marked as solution in a post thread to maximum 2.

@Roderick  and @Michelle 

For you attention and consideration please.

I also request esteemed opinions of other community colleagues.

3 6 678
6 REPLIES 6

@Suvrutt_Gurjar wrote:

opinions of other community colleagues

Everything you note regarding typical needs seems accurate. Nonetheless, I also don't see it as a problem. I encounter very few conversations that have superfluous replies marked as a solution and don't see a critical need to control against those outliers.

(On a separate note: If it were possible to solve, I believe that a more impactful community improvement would be to have solutions reliably marked in the first place. Many conversations have a resolution, but the bookkeeping of explicitly marking a solution gets overlooked and, therefore, the solution isn't readily discoverable by subsequent users with the same question.)

Thank you @dbaum for your insights. You are correct that many times truly deserving responses that are actual solutions do not get marked as a solution, so some plus /minus happens on either side.

Still, the post such as that I referred can skew the stats. As I mentioned, previous  community platform ( Discord?)  allowed only one post in a thread as a solution, if my memory serves me right.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar wrote:

This will obviously give a skewed statistics.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar wrote:

the post such as that I referred can skew the stats

Which statistics are you referencing, and what's the concern if they're skewed?

Stats such as total solutions , total individual solutions etc.

LLD
Silver 2
Silver 2

Hi Suvrutt.. Sorry if this has created confusion.. I frequently get email reminders from Appsheet asking if replies posted to my queries solved my requirements.. so I did a bit of "housekeeping".. 🙄

My two cents - Of all the replies/ threads falling under a post, one or more could be solutions.. Further, while in most cases, the replies posted by you/ Marc/ Steve etc.. are spot on as solutions.. in some cases I believe that the "perfect" solution evolves with each post.. so which one do I mark?

Thank you very much @LLD for the revert.

You are correct that some post threads can extend a bit as there could be more clarifications required and the solution evolves in steps. 

I believe in such cases any one of  the response from solution giver can be marked as solution as long as the broad issue discussed is primarily just one.

My only intention of opening this community post was, in the referred post of yours, I got rewarded with as many as 3 or 4 solutions and I felt it is incorrect for solution to one single issue.