Trying to Print a PDF attachment on a single 2.25x1.25in label: need other attachment suggestions/pointers

Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in printing small labels from a PDF attachment.

I have a PDF template with a QR code, I have tried several orientations and attachment page size combinations but nothing seems to work. I am using google docs as a template but no matter how I construct my template, I easily print 3-5 more (blank labels) even if I manage to fit the content on a single label.

That being the case, I think I need to choose another attachment option as well as overhaul my template. Any suggestions for the choice of attachment type and what template setup would suit a 2.25inx1.25in label?

I am using an inbound email + google cloud print to trigger the zap

1 12 2,451
12 REPLIES 12

@Elijah_Magrane Iโ€™ve used the inbound email -> Google Cloud print option before, specifically to a Dymo label printer. One thing that might be good to consider: Page size of your template may not matter, as long as the template proportions are similar to your label and your printer โ€˜scaleโ€™ is set to 100%. For example, I used a โ€˜Tabloidโ€™ sized Google Doc template for printing to a 4x6 Dymo label.

It took a bit of testing for me to get it right, especially since it may be possible to adjust the orientation/size settings in the template, in the zap, in Google Cloud Print, and also in the printer itself.

Hereโ€™s my Dymo label sample app.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I used your sample app to print a 4x6 label using our printer. However, I am experiencing a lot of issues when I try to go smaller 2.25x1.25. Not sure what PDF attachment size to use and what are the best proportions for my template

Hi Eli,

I have implemented the ability for you to specify custom PDF page sizes.

When you select the โ€˜PageSizeโ€™ value โ€œCustomโ€, you will be able to enter the PageHeight and PageWidth in millimeters. These values will be used when creating the PDF.

If testing goes well, this feature will be released on Monday afternoon Seattle time.

Thatโ€™s awesome, canโ€™t wait to try it out. Will this be in the workflow tab?

Great addition Phil!

@Elijah_Magrane In the label printing situation that I set up I ended up not using Zapier because it wasnโ€™t able to pull in all of the printing options available for the label printer I was using. Try to print the same pdf directly from Google Cloud Print. Does it show extra options that you can use to get it to print correctly?

I ended up setting up a Google Apps Script, triggered via a webhook from Appsheet, that prints out the most recent pdf file in a specified folder (from a Save File workflow). It involves a bit of complicated setting up of OAuth certification to get printing permission for your script, but otherwise the script is fairly straightforward.

It will be supported in the workflow Email and SaveFile dialogs.
The PageSize dropdown will contain the new value โ€œCustomโ€.
When you select โ€œCustomโ€, the PageHeight and PageWidth controls will be displayed and you can enter those two values in millimeters.

@Peter Thank you @Phil for rolling out that feature. I got to be play with a little but before the AppSheet build got rolled back.
However, I am not convinced that would solve my issue entirely. If you see the below pic no matter the PDF size I still have a large โ€œUnusable areaโ€ within the label. I have tried numerous template orientations, page sizes, and font sizes. Even A9 which is very close to my required size is restricted to roughly the same area as any other PDF page size

I just canโ€™t seem to open up the area on either side of the label, regardless of the PDF page size. My printer is a Zebra 2844. I have adjusted the printer settings too; both the โ€œunprintable area settingโ€ and โ€œpage size.โ€

Any insight would be appreciated

Looks similar to the problems I was having. Did you try my suggestion of double checking that Zapier is giving you all possible print options? Try to print directly from google cloud to see. Specifically, I was missing a scaling option where I could select โ€œfit to pageโ€.

Yes I have been printing directly through Google cloud Print (so as to not waste my zaps). I found, however, it makes no difference; from the zap or the GCP, same result. It would be nice to fiddle with some scaling options in zapier, however, I have no option to do so.

What happens if you change between portrait and landscape? What happens if you increase text size in your template?

And try setting page margins in your template to zero.

If I change between portrait and landscape we see thisโ€ฆ

orientation does change but not the position.

In regards to font, similar results. Scale within the area changes but not the position. so the font will just bigger but it will get cut-off

Top Labels in this Space