Is it possible to display the pdf file that I've uploaded in the form next to it?

Hello! 

My name is Andreea and I'm new to AppSheet. I have to do an app for documents/invoices storage. Basically, after I upload a pdf/file in the form I need to add a watermark based on the form entries ("IN/OUT", "COMAPANY", "DATE", "NUMBER") to that pdf/file that I've uploaded. This is a problem because I don't know how to add watermark to an existing pdf. I have tested some things in automation by making templates to create a pdf and I put the row of the file ([PDF]), but in returns the URL of the pdf. If anybody knows how to do that, I would be open to any method!

Beside that, I need to display the pdf/file in the form when it is uploaded, preferably next to it,  because  when I complete the other form entries ("COMPANY", "NUMBER", "DATE" etc.) I have to see this information from the pdf/file. So, is the any solution for this? 

Thanks!๐Ÿ™‚

6 REPLIES 6

Do you want to add watermarks to the PDF which you upload manually ? and that is not created by appsheet bot .

If my understanding right. you cannot edit PDF file which u upload manually. 

If you create PDF files using Bots, if Google Docs supports water mark then try it . 

Yes. I want to add watermark in to the PDFs that I upload manually. Is there any integration that can help me if I can't do it with automation?

You can't do any editing in PDFs which you upload manually and

@WillowMobileSys has given a detailed information about your query. Please read last few paragraphs. 

Thank you

First,  AppSheet can generate PDF's  OR view PDF's.  It cannot, unfortunately, modify an existing PDF.  If changes were needed to a previously generated PDF, it would need to be RE-generated with the newly added details.

Second, I am not sure you are using the term "watermark" properly.  Watermarks are background text or images, that overlay the existing content, intended to prevent copying of an image or document or to imply it is an original document.  If this IS the style of watermark you wish to include in your documents, then again, unfortunately, the PDF generation process used by AppSheet does support this type of formatting.  If it is ok to add these "watermark" details in more of a "stamp" or "seal" form - content placed into a corner of a document but doesn't overlay the document content itself - then that is something you could  implement.

Thirdly, displaying of PDF's, or any attached items in AppSheet, relies on "viewers" on the device - separate apps dedicated to viewing files.  While you can't display PDF's in the app itself side by side, you might be able to arrange the viewer along side the app for easier review and entry.

Bottom line....

If you are relying on PDF's created OUTSIDE of AppSheet, you do not have any way to modify those inside of AppSheet.

If you are using templates to generate the PDF's in AppSheet, you could create a process to re-generate that same PDF and add the additional "watermark" details when needed.

If you DO generate your own PDF's, I would like to point out that the watermark details you wish to apply to a PDF are KNOWN.  You can maintain them in the app and would NOT need to open the PDF file again to retrieve them.

Lastly, the PDF generation process is limited in what formating it supports BUT you can create very professional looking documents.  Using tables is the key to getting proper alignment of content. There is a learning curve and it does take some time to create a template as you will need to play around through trial and error to get things just right!

I hope this helps!

Alright! I understand your explanations. But I think I can add watermark through automation by calling a webhook using MAKE, where I can add a module (ex: Ilovepdf, PDF.co) that can insert the information I want. Thanks! 

Share some results here..

Top Labels in this Space