Filling in several tables with one form

Hi,

I have a table with persons. Each row is a person, with various information (first name, family name, job, ...). This table is filled in manually by users using a form, which contains the previously mentioned information, as well as birth date, wedding date and death date). I used to store these 3 dates in the same table, but as I want to create a map with different pin colors for birth, wedding and location, I understand that I need to store these 3 dates in a separate table. (Please correct me if wrong).

So, assuming I need to create, update and delete dates in the second table when users make modifications in the "Person" form, what is the most efficient way to achieve this?

Thanks for your help.

Solved Solved
0 4 254
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@BertrandJ wrote:

I can see that the child table can only be linked to one parent table

Correct!  But there can be multiple Child tables.  So you can add a Pictures table and use the Person table as the parent.  Each Person row then would have both - a list of Life Events and a list of Pictures.

Note:  You can have Grandchild tables as well. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yes, I would recommend 2 tables - one for the main person details and then a second table for Life Events.  The Life Events table would have a [Type] with your values of "Birth", "Wedding", "Death", etc.  You can use the [Type] column in Format rules to determine the pin color for each of the different types.  

As for ADDING these Life Event rows, I would simply use the common AppSheet Parent/Child relationship that automatically provides a table in the Form where a user can insert these Life events - Dates, Location and all other related details.

After that, for editing or deleting you will be able to select any of the child rows and perform those actions.  

To find out more about Parent/Child table relationships please refer the article below.  Scroll dow to the "Express ownership between tables" section to setup this relationship - it is very easy to do.

References between tables

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your answer. I have made some tests and it solves my issue with displaying the birth, wedding and death locations on the same map (yes I mentioned dates in my question but it's actually also locations that I want to store in the child table, I see you have corrected that).

But in the help page you have refered me to, I can see that the child table can only be linked to one parent table. In fact I also have a "picture" table, and these pictures also have dates and locations. Can I re-use the same child table to store location and dates of pictures? Or use another child table? But in this case, how could I later display on the same map the "life event locations" with the "document locations"?

Thanks

@BertrandJ wrote:

I can see that the child table can only be linked to one parent table

Correct!  But there can be multiple Child tables.  So you can add a Pictures table and use the Person table as the parent.  Each Person row then would have both - a list of Life Events and a list of Pictures.

Note:  You can have Grandchild tables as well. 

Thanks WillowMobileSys

Top Labels in this Space