Announcing: Google Forms Integration in AppSheet (Preview)

Hi everyone! Weโ€™re excited to announce that AppSheetโ€™s Google Forms integration has launched and is now fully rolled out as a Public Preview (beta). This feature is available to all AppSheet users.

First announced and demoed at Google Cloud NEXT, AppSheetโ€™s new Google Forms integration provides full support for (1) Google Forms as a data source, and (2) a Bot/automation trigger for when new form data is submitted.

Used together, the Google Forms data source and trigger enable powerful use cases for your apps, such as notification and approval flows whenever a user submits new form data. For example, a space in Google Chat could be notified whenever a new Google Forms response is submitted. Then, a user in that Chat space could review and respond based on the information provided, directly and in-context from Chat.

Animation showing a Google Forms-based approval flow using AppSheet and Chat AppsAnimation showing a Google Forms-based approval flow using AppSheet and Chat Apps

How to Use Google Forms Integration

Youโ€™ll find Google Forms integration in AppSheet under the Create menu on your My Apps page in AppSheet.com under Create > App > Start with existing data. You can also integrate with Google Forms in your existing app with the standard Add data flow from the Data tab. Once you have a Google Forms data source set up, youโ€™ll see this option in the Settings | Event Type dropdown when working with the Bot editor.

More Information

For more information, check out these resources:

We'd love your feedback!

This feature is in Preview and still under active development, so we are eager to hear your feedback as we continue working on it. Weโ€™re eager to hear your thoughts and feedback in this thread once youโ€™ve had a chance to try it out.

Thank you, everyone. Weโ€™re happy to bring Google Forms integration to the AppSheet community and canโ€™t wait to see what you build with it!

Mike Procopio, Engineering Lead, AppSheet

On behalf of AppSheet and AppSheetโ€™s Workspace Integration Team

12 13 1,313
13 REPLIES 13

Thank you! I have a question please. Is it then possible now to have user logins with Google Forms? or do the forms remain public with no possibility for user identification?

Does not support displaying uploaded files from google forms ?

Thanks for the feedback! Support for Forms file upload questions is coming soon.

Huge shout out to the team for this advancement!

• I just tested this out and was able to take a Google Form (which I already created that had a script so it would throw details back to an App) and reconfigured things so it triggers from the form submission directly - completely bypassing the need for a script, all the API know-how, etc.

The process was unbelievably simple:

1. Add the form as a data source
    MultiTech_0-1714848650423.png
  2. Create a new bot on the submission of the form
    MultiTech_1-1714848683485.png
  3. Made a task that takes the form fields and maps them into a preexisting table by creating a new record
    MultiTech_3-1714848736995.png
    • You have direct access to the form fields, just like they were columns from a normal table. ๐Ÿ’ช

MultiTech_2-1714848726794.png
    • So all I had to do was select what field (in the Google Form) should go into what column (in my regular table).

When I submit in the form, it kicks the bot - which then creates the record in the other table, which then kicks another automation!

I love AppSheet! (^_^)  Thanks to the team again!

Can we impose conditions with the help of this form: 

If you mean "can we use the condition for the automation to run" - just like a normal automation - yes.

There is a condition box for the trigger setup, just like you're used to from a regular automation; so you could use the fields from the form in your criteria.

Very good. Thanks for those updates. 

@Joseph_Seddik wrote:

Thank you! I have a question please. Is it then possible now to have user logins with Google Forms? or do the forms remain public with no possibility for user identification?

Just got the answer in another post that Google Forms now offers the possibility to force a Google Signin to form respondents. Great!

Hi,

I think that this is a good feature. Thank you for it. I will explore this and will likely integrate it in the future. Now I'm going to hijack the thread to request another integration.

Please, please, please can we have Google Calendar integrated properly with AppSheet. I expect that the majority of apps that people create have some sort of scheduling or time recording aspect to them. It seems to me, and many others, that this integration should be a high priority and long overdue.

Included with this, a timeline, or gantt chart is highly desirable.

I honestly don't know why this has not been done already. There have been many requests for it. I think that the community would very much appreciate knowing if this is on the drawingboard, and if so, what priority it has.

Many thanks

In addition to the above, I also feel the possibility to allow linked calendar to grey out or block days / timeslots that already have events scheduled on them. This would make Google forms catch up to the rest of form systems out there.. 

Please we would really appreciate Google leading the pack again.... 

As always, I come with my honest opinions.

The integration with Google Forms/AppSheet is not really new and the integration has been there for long time by adding "AppSheet Event Add on" to Google Sheet which has been working fine. 

Google advocate this is pretty new integartion, but in reality, it is not, as this was there for a long time.

I tested new preview integration but it is less than exsiting integration (by means of using Event Add on).  The Form took as table for Appsheet is read only, bra bra bra.  

Only one thing new is AppSheet can detect 'Submit new form" event WITHOUT installing AppSheet Event Add on.   Thats about it.

I m really confused why the community member are so get excited here , while there is existing functionality (which is more powerful enough).

I stay with existing functionality (using AppSheet Event Add on) rather than using this less useful alleged? new feature, where actually this is not really new one.

Only it may help people who are restricted by the company to install Add On to their environment, otherwise nothing really new was addded to the platoform.

I sincerely hope google not to remove the existing "AppSheet Event Add on" from us, which is the worst case scenario for all of us.

My suggestion is not to introduce this (get Form as table) but place the currently avaiable functionality of "AppSheet Event Add on" as the natively available option for Google Sheet (place somewhere in Google Sheet menu without installing add on), where the Google Sheet is set as source of recording the Google Form Submission ,which is more useful and user friendly. This would solve all.